• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:06:41 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

1 Day Double Brew !!!

Started by newToBrew, November 08, 2012, 08:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newToBrew

1 Day Double Brew

Hey Folks - having  a Brew Day tomorrow

here's my plan:

figure I'm gonna do 2 brews (crimbo is coming !!) 
Mash tun holds 70 quarts  - @ 66 Litres
So....
If I mash  @ 10 kilos - I reckon I should draw off enough wort for 2 batches
Batch 1 cascade pale Ale
Batch 2 Stout
Gonna Cold Steep @ 1 Kg of Chocolate & @ 1 KG of RB tonight for the Stout & add it to the FV once I've boiled & cooled  the Stout Batch 

have an open bag of Cascade with @ 8 oz in it - not been stored too well - just closed up the bag - but was stored in an air tight bucket along with some grain for the last few months

I'm reckoning that even if it has lost its potency a bit - I can increase the amounts to make up for it - when I opened the bucket last night there was a lovely lemony snickety smell emanating from it
(wonder if that has permeated into the grain ...)

have loads of MO  - so base malt is covered - also have @ 700 grams of Crystal - was gonna just fling all of that in figured it'd cover the two batches
Also have some wheat - guess I'll throw in maybe a Kilo - half a kilo into the mix (because its there !!)

Question: how does cascade suit as a bittering hop for the Stout ?
like I said have @ 8 oz/230 grams  - SO I figured @ 100/150 g for the Pale Ale Hop Schedule   
& @ 50 for Bittering the Stout - maybe fling in a few grams(whatevers left)   at the end for the stout too ?

probably mash @ 68 - 70 Degrees & batch sparge at @ 74 ?

I do have other hops to hand most are in those 500g/400 g packages & I'd rather use up the cascade before I open another ( had to fling out half a bag of perle before - not doin that again !! )

I think I have some small 100g bags of Magnum knockin about- also have 100g bag of Raku - Sooooo tempted to use that on the pale ale  - half thinking of splitting the pale ale batch into 2 & dry hopping half the batch  with it !!)

Anyway - thoughts, opinions, pointers - holes
All welcome !!!!
coz theres always something new to do

newToBrew

.. I just remembered - I have a load o Amber Malt as well !!!!

Hmmm - Could throw in half a KG of this into the Mix too - wonder what kinda stout - &  Ale Batch would I get then ???

Snuff

When I do a double brew day, I do two mash. Having said that, my mash tun is a bit smaller.
Brew one is mashed and once boiler is on, brew two goes into the mash tun.
By the time brew one is boiled, cooled and into FV, brew two is finished mashing and transferring to boiler.
No cold steeping anything.
Works well for me.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

newToBrew

yeah - had considered that before alright,might still go down that route now that I'm considering some amber in the stout - and not in the ale

the cold steeping - I was gonna do anyway - not just for the mash process but as an experiment
- ah we'll see how I get on in the morning - its been such a long time since I brewed  I'm excited at playing about with things 

Spud395

Go easy on the Amber if you're going to use it in the pale ale, it's very distinctive and pretty overpowering, saying that I love it , but it will give you something different that you are expecting.
On the other hand it will work very well in a stout.
Non modo......sed etiam

PaulB

I'm with Snuff on the double brew, can you usually mange a double brew in about 6 hours if I'm well prepped.

You could use the cascade in the stout but you might end up with a 'west coast' stout ! Magnum is fantastic for bittering and is very clean, I think that would be my preference, it just comes down to taste.

Primary; Kolsch, Robust porter
Secondary; Helles Bock, Cider
Kegged US Farmhouse, Belgian Golden, APA & ESB
Bottled ; Kriek & Flanders Red

MAF

I've found Cascade to be a bit harsh for bittering. Totally agree with PaulB - use Magnum for bittering if you have the choice!

newToBrew

was just rooting aroung for the magnum - found 100 g of northdown - thinkin of using that now for the stout - needs to be used by january

newToBrew

:-[
I stand corrected sir !!

Gonna go with the Magnum now anyways - I've used some Amber & Choc & RB in the Stout - so I guessed a good clean bittering would be better than flinging in spicy hops or floral hops on top of that - kinda want to see how good/bad the cold steep process is

newToBrew

bloody hop police !!!!!

yea think thats what I got the northdown for in the first place - went with  the oul Tom Selleck in the end

Snuff

Quotebloody hop police !!!!!

yea think thats what I got the northdown for in the first place - went with  the oul Tom Selleck in the end
Well, I suppose it will be a "Movember" brew then.....
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -