• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:58:36 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

#*###* Magpies

Started by Eoink, December 09, 2013, 05:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoink

Brewed Friday night and left the 'brew in a bag' full of spent grain in a bucket outside the back door. On Saturday morning I found magpies had ripped my nylon bag apart to get at the grain.
I'm planning revenge >:D

LordEoin

time to zero the scope...

Ciderhead

Larsen trap, they are pretty easy to make and the most effective.
Only problem is like I was last summer you will spend the week wringing necks.
I was reading about a woman in Dublin last year went to court for culling 17 in a day!
They are fiercely territorial and all you are doing is population control as neighbouring magpies will merge into your neighbourhood.

delzep

I thought this would have been from an angry Manchester United fan  :-*

Eoink

Unfortunately we have very strict laws here about discharging firearms in residential areas  so it will have to be a larson trap borrowed from the local gunclub,
17 in one day - that woman deserves a medal.

Will_D

What are they like to eat?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Eoink

Quote from: Will_D on December 10, 2013, 11:52:34 AM
What are they like to eat?

Roast magpie with spent grain stuffing anyone?

Shanna

Hi there

Rather than trying kill wild birds why not just buy a bucket with a sealable lid. That way you can leave the stuff outside safely.

Larson traps are illegal in a lot of counties (including Denmark where the inventor is from) and I suspect anybody seeing you use them will not think any better of you. Trapping wild birds when a simple solution will foil them would strike me as preferrable. As a rule I would not leave grain outside like this as the next visitors might be four legged brown furry beasties that will ignore Larson traps :)

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ciderhead

December 10, 2013, 01:03:35 PM #8 Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:13:41 PM by CH
@Shanna you have a different view if you lived in the boonies, they have no natural predators and cleaned out every song bird I had around me.
I personally watched them harvest a blackbirds nest.
What is allowed in those countries is shooting and poisioning. Even though I have a gun they are impossible to shoot and I am not a fan of poisioning as both a missed shot and poision are potentially slow deaths and will impact on what eats them.

@Will Scrawny and not much meat and they eat all sorts of shit so I didn't bother, their mates didn't have a problem eating them though.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: iTube on December 09, 2013, 11:49:08 PM
Starve the cat for a few days. Cures rodent issues.

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk 2
Cats are afraid of Magpies. At least the 2 we have and had. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

You could talk to Ditch over on Jims beer kit and ask him, he's a rat catcher and all around pest guy who lives up in Leitrim, English traveller and a nice guy.

LordEoin

trapping or shooting them is fine. poisoning is not.

Billythegypsy

Quote from: Eoin on December 10, 2013, 02:01:49 PM
You could talk to Ditch over on Jims beer kit and ask him, he's a rat catcher and all around pest guy who lives up in Leitrim, English traveller and a nice guy.

Ditch is real?

I always just assumed he was some sort of Tyler Durden of homebrewing.

Have you met him?

Shanna

Quote from: CH on December 10, 2013, 01:03:35 PM
@Shanna you have a different view if you lived in the boonies, they have no natural predators and cleaned out every song bird I had around me.
I personally watched them harvest a blackbirds nest.
What is allowed in those countries is shooting and poisioning. Even though I have a gun they are impossible to shoot and I am not a fan of poisioning as both a missed shot and poision are potentially slow deaths and will impact on what eats them.

@Will Scrawny and not much meat and they eat all sorts of shit so I didn't bother, their mates didn't have a problem eating them though.
Hi CH,

I knew when I wrote this that I was going to get the "its different in the country argument" rolled out. I am not anti hunting, fishing etc. I understand that crows, magpies are perceived as vermin (have relatives who keep sheep and regularly shoot them) and do kill song birds but then again cats also do. Cats also regularly kill all types of birds, mamals smaller than them and people are not advocating killing them. My understanding is that magpies do have predators including cats, foxes and dogs who will kill and eat them if they can catch them.

The larson traps are notorious for being cruel as people forget to check them regularly and like snares whatever is trapped in them struggles when caught and often will maim or kill itself to get out.

Leaving aside the perception of cruelty my point out bucket with a lid still stands (kiss).

CH would agree with you that I would never consider eating a magpie, just too much effort for very little return ;-)

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

irish_goat

Go to a local restaurant, chippy, bakery etc and get yourself a 15litre plastic tub (mayonnaise, ketchup, spices, oil etc all come in these). They'll not peck into that.