• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:59:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"Contract" brew

Started by fergus, September 26, 2014, 06:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergus

September 26, 2014, 06:24:57 PM Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:38:52 PM by fergus
Howya all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I'm keeping up on all the home brewing  goings on at home as much as possible. Things really seem to gathering steam there which is great to see and the club is really very well organised, which is great!!! For those who don't remember my intro on the forum last year; I'm from Laois but have been living/working in Montreal for the past few years. I've been AG brewing for about 2.5yrs and really enjoy it. My folks just came for a visit and my dad fell in love with one of my beers. So, I was thinking a good Christmas present would be to brew him a 5 gal batch. Only problem is, I could never ship it from here to him. So, I had a thought not too long ago; reach out on the forum and see if anyone locally would be willing to brew it for me and arrange delivery/pickup. I would buy all the ingredients (or as much as I could) and have them shipped to the willing participant and would pay for your time, any additional ingredients, bottles, caps, etc. Right now I am thinking of the APA that he had here but, I am gonna brew up a clone of a beer that we tasted and really like in Kingston, ON and, if that comes out close to the original....maybe that instead.

Anyone up to the challenge?

Cheers,

Ferg

mr hoppy

What were you drinking in Kingston ON that you liked? I remember being in the Dragon (not sure if that's the right name?) there in 2007.

fergus

Dragon's Breath Real Ale. It was at the Kingston Brewing Company...just like mother's milk...could drink it all day long

Quote from: mr hoppy on September 26, 2014, 06:35:45 PM
What were you drinking in Kingston ON that you liked? I remember being in the Dragon (not sure if that's the right name?) there in 2007.

imark

Great idea Fergus. I can't help but I hope someone will be able to.

Shanna

Quote from: fergus on September 26, 2014, 06:24:57 PM
Howya all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I'm keeping up on all the home brewing  goings on at home as much as possible. Things really seem to gathering steam there which is great to see and the club is really very well organised, which is great!!! For those who don't remember my intro on the forum last year; I'm from Laois but have been living/working in Montreal for the past few years. I've been AG brewing for about 2.5yrs and really enjoy it. My folks just came for a visit and my dad fell in love with one of my beers. So, I was thinking a good Christmas present would be to brew him a 5 gal batch. Only problem is, I could never ship it from here to him. So, I had a thought not too long ago; reach out on the forum and see if anyone locally would be willing to brew it for me and arrange delivery/pickup. I would buy all the ingredients (or as much as I could) and have them shipped to the willing participant and would pay for your time, any additional ingredients, bottles, caps, etc. Right now I am thinking of the APA that he had here but, I am gonna brew up a clone of a beer that we tasted and really like in Kingston, ON and, if that comes out close to the original....maybe that instead.

Cheers,

Ferg
Have you considered getting your old lad to take up the challenge himself :)

Teach a man to brew and he can drink for life.

Shanna

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bogwoppit

I'll offer my services free of charge if you buy the ingredients (I might keep a bottle or 2).
I only have a basic setup so can't do anything too complicated but if you give me a recipe I'll let you know if I could do it justice.

Allan

mr hoppy

Quote from: fergus on September 26, 2014, 06:38:06 PM
Dragon's Breath Real Ale. It was at the Kingston Brewing Company...just like mother's milk...could drink it all day long

Yep, that was the one. Funny old spot though Kingston.

mr hoppy

Not to give him an even bigger head but I'd say the problem with getting bren to do it is it might be better than the original.

Gugs44

Invest in some basic equipment, how to brew book, you tube vids...he'll enjoy the process of doing it surely and that feeling of 'I made this' can't be beaten even if it was only fair...my old man loves to watch on brew days and then tell fellas in the pub of how good it is

Just an idea like or go to one of the local brew club nights

fergus

Hey Shanna/Gugs,

He used to brew a loooong time ago when we were nippers but those days have gone. Actually, I asked him about getting him rigged up last year but he passed on it. He has no interest in taking up another hobby but likes tasting the finished product :)

Cheers,

Ferg

Quote from: Shanna on September 26, 2014, 09:05:48 PM
Quote from: fergus on September 26, 2014, 06:24:57 PM
Howya all,

Cheers,

Ferg
Have you considered getting your old lad to take up the challenge himself :)

Teach a man to brew and he can drink for life.

Shanna

Quote from: Gugs44 on September 26, 2014, 11:08:41 PM
Invest in some basic equipment, how to brew book, you tube vids...he'll enjoy the process of doing it surely and that feeling of 'I made this' can't be beaten even if it was only fair...my old man loves to watch on brew days and then tell fellas in the pub of how good it is

Just an idea like or go to one of the local brew club nights

fergus

Thanks Allan. I'll post the recipe later and you can have a squiz and see what you think.

Cheers,

Ferg

Quote from: Bogwoppit on September 26, 2014, 09:33:32 PM
I'll offer my services free of charge if you buy the ingredients (I might keep a bottle or 2).
I only have a basic setup so can't do anything too complicated but if you give me a recipe I'll let you know if I could do it justice.

Allan

fergus

Thanks Dube. I'll reach out to @brenmurph and see if he would be interested also. And if it ends up being even better than my original....all the better. I am always looking for feedback for improvements in my recipes :) That's why we're all in this hobby after all :)

Quote from: Dube on September 26, 2014, 09:46:16 PM
Brenmurph is not a million miles away from Laois, has a lot of medals including some recent international successes.  I reckon he could be your man!

mr hoppy

Sorry fergus, i was thinking of the way the pub was back when i visited when i said that. :)

fergus

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed any since then. Or at least it doesn't seem to have changed. I like it though. It's cosy :)
Quote from: mr hoppy on September 26, 2014, 11:59:26 PM
Sorry fergus, i was thinking of the way the pub was back when i visited when i said that. :)

LordEoin

You probably won't go for this but I like the idea of what you want to do. Making parents happy is important.
I'll throw my hat in the ring here.
You sort the ingredients etc, I'll brew and take half the batch, no payment. This will guarantee that I don't make something shite.
Problem here is I'm in Cork so you'd need to sort transport too.