• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:32:45 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Munster Co2

Started by LordEoin, November 16, 2016, 03:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkeybike

I was up there this morning and got 6kg refill for €30 from Roy, the CO2 bottle is new to
me so he flushed it out in case there was any crap floating about in it. I have another 6kg
bottle arriving tomorrow and will pop up to have it as a back-up. Great to have this facillity
available so close by.

The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is Attitude ! ¯\_(¿)_/¯

dahamsta

I bought a Sodastream in the meantime because I didn't think anyone in Cork was doing refills. :(

Would you mind asking him tomorrow if he can refill them? And if he can supply 6kg bottles? (Or where I'd get one if he can't.)

LordEoin

He doesn't fill sodastreams. Says it wouldn't pay him to turn the machine on.
Argos replace empty for full for €18

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: dahamsta on August 30, 2019, 01:58:42 PM
I bought a Sodastream in the meantime because I didn't think anyone in Cork was doing refills. :(

Would you mind asking him tomorrow if he can refill them? And if he can supply 6kg bottles? (Or where I'd get one if he can't.)
I bought one of these and I refill my SodaStream cylinders from my 5kg cylinder as necessary
https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-cylinder-refill-adapter-p520.html
Remember to put the SodaStream cylinder in the freezer first to chill it down, (I usually leave it overnight) and invert the donor cylinder, so that you are filling the SodaStream with liquid co2 rather than gas. SodaStream are extremely litigious and generally pursue anyone professionally filling their cylinders. You can't buy any filling adaptors anywhere in the states or the close the shops selling them down.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Sorcerers Apprentice

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

dahamsta

Yikes, it's a bit pricey. Where did you get your 6kg cylinder?

LordEoin

September 02, 2019, 03:40:17 PM #21 Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:52:26 PM by LordEoin
It's not too bad. the cost of three argos refills
Then your cost for sodastream refills drops from €18 each to €2 each forever

dahamsta

Fair point. How much is a 6kg refill. And I'm still not sure where to get a 6kg bottle. :)

Donkeybike

September 07, 2019, 12:43:02 AM #23 Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:47:08 AM by Donkeybike
I think the bigger CO2 fire extinguishers
have the same thread as the CO2 bottles. If that is the case they'd be way easier to source
and a standard CO2 regulator would fit.

I also have a couple of dozen of these "Calibration Gas" cylinders.....

LordEoin

Fire extinguishers have a diptube in them.
it needs to be removed unless you want to try shoot liquid co2 into your keg and kill your regulator.
I wouldn't advise doing it yourself.

Donkeybike

September 10, 2019, 01:10:49 AM #25 Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:03:32 AM by Donkeybike
Quote from: LordEoin on September 09, 2019, 10:15:54 AM
Fire extinguishers have a diptube in them.
it needs to be removed unless you want to try shoot liquid co2 into your keg and kill your regulator.
I wouldn't advise doing it yourself.
Grand job Eoin, I'll stick with the CO2 bottle, and leave the fire extinguishers alone.

I like the  idea of these Calibration Gas cylinders, they're as handy as a Soda Stream bottle but a bit bigger and
have a 5/8 unf thread which I can fill from the full size Nitrogen or CO2 bottle.

Will_D

If you are stuck and have to use a FireEx just use it upside down!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

dahamsta

What size are the Calibration Gas cylinders? They'd be suitable for refilling a Sodastream bottle?

Donkeybike

Quote from: dahamsta on September 16, 2019, 03:01:01 PM
What size are the Calibration Gas cylinders? They'd be suitable for refilling a Sodastream bottle?
They have a volume of about 1.8 Litres and will hold 1000psi, the thread in the valve was 5/8 UNF-18 which is a Bolt thread.
I found a Swagelock fitting with enough meat on it to reduce it to 5/8 UNF and can use that to fill and an off the shelf regulator
to use for dispensing.

dahamsta

Thanks. What capacity are the Sodastream ones?