• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:49 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Buying an RO setup

Started by cochised, April 27, 2020, 03:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cochised

Considering going down this route and was wondering for those that have already, where did you buy yours and what should I look out for?

Mainly do 5 gallon BIAB batches so presume I wouldn't need a system that produces a huge output

Did see a portable one on AMazon that would be nice not to have to set up a whole under sink system, but I presume you have to fill it a lot more often

Thanks

itsclinto

I picked up this one from water filter man
https://www.waterfilterman.co.uk/fish-keeping-water-filters/248-17-reverse-osmosis-water-filter-for-aquarium-discus-fish-marine.html#/22-add_ons-standard_ro

It does the job. I get about 5 litres per hour and i feel it has made a huge difference to my brewing.

I also made it tidy by transplanting it into a tool box which makes it portable for a brew day

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

cochised

Cheers for reply.
Price certainly appealing vs some I've seen
In terms of how it works, you just hook it up to outlet and let it do it's thing into say brewpot?
Is it a permanent fixture or portable like it seems in your picture there? As in do you take it on and off each time you use it?

5 litres an hour ain't too bad as I usually collect 27 litres or so

itsclinto

Ye its portable to keep it out of my wife's view. I hook it up to either the kitchen tap (with an adapter) or outside tap the day before and collect the water in the brew pot. It works with three tubings, water in (from tap), ro'd water out and waste water. To fit it into the toolbox, i had to get the three adapters to make the connection to the outside of the box

cochised

Excellent, think I might check that out so 

cochised

April 28, 2020, 06:49:09 PM #5 Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:06:59 PM by cochised
Ordered that earlier so looking forward to messing about with it.
Asking the bleeding obvious I know but I assume if I use a water calculator now all the figures will be zero, or close to it? And then it's a case of finding your target profile and adding salts etc to reach?

Does it affect pH?

Pheeel

It should be practically zero. Over time the filter will let more through but you can buy a cheap TDS meter to check that

Good luck. RO makes a big diff
Issues with your membership? PM me!

oreils87

For that price it's worth a shot!  I love the idea of putting it in a tool box.

markov

Do the filters come in standard sizes? So if you have to replace them can you buy them from other retailers and not stuck to the one retailer/RO system?

itsclinto

Quote from: markov on May 01, 2020, 04:04:31 PMDo the filters come in standard sizes? So if you have to replace them can you buy them from other retailers and not stuck to the one retailer/RO system?
I'm not too sure. I'm sure someone might know a bit more about it but after looking it up, it appears that most are universal

Impaler

Quote from: cochised on April 28, 2020, 06:49:09 PMOrdered that earlier so looking forward to messing about with it.

How long did it take to arrive?
Did you get to brew with RO water yet? How was your experience with water filter?

Quote from: itsclinto on April 27, 2020, 06:47:49 PMI hook it up to either the kitchen tap (with an adapter)

What kind of adapter to the kitchen tap?

itsclinto

What kind of adapter to the kitchen tap?
[/quote]

I got the following which when i screw off the attachment, the ro attachment screws straight into it
https://www.thegardenshop.ie/tap-to-hose-connector/

cochised

Quote from: Impaler on May 05, 2020, 03:49:38 PM
Quote from: cochised on April 28, 2020, 06:49:09 PMOrdered that earlier so looking forward to messing about with it.

How long did it take to arrive?
Did you get to brew with RO water yet? How was your experience with water filter?

Not arrived yet but understandable given current circumstances.

Will report once I've done a brew

Impaler

Emot

Hi lads, I ordered one of these at the end of April having stumbled upon this thread. It took about 2 weeks to arrive. It wasn't too difficult to set up, there are reasonably clear instructions with it. It was supposed to include a tap to 1/4 inch adaptor but I don't think I got one, so I had to rig up a little connection which I can take a photo of tomorrow. All in all great value.