• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Floating balls in cornelius keg

Started by tsoonamee, October 29, 2021, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsoonamee

Happy Friday Folks. I am considering to upgrade my kegs with something called floating ball. The simple idea is it wont suck sendiment until the end of the keg. Eg:   US $10.33  6%OFF | Floating Beer Keg Liquid Dip Tube Fit Ball Lock & Pin Lock Beer Keg SS Ball Float 80cm Silicone Tube
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ywSLs . Could anyone share his experiences/ feedback if ever use it ? There are many variations of this idea including fit to the lid or direct mount to the post. My kegs are pin lock cornelius!
Nothing is better than smoked bacon

tsoonamee

iBrau

Quote from: Kasdal on October 29, 2021, 07:23:46 PMWorks well. Can recommend. I also added one of these to it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014782981.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dQFGje3

Kadsal do you take any extra steps when cleaning your keg when using the ball? Do you sanitise the ball and tube separately?

Kasdal

Yes, ofc. I sanitize everything. Just throw it in solution before it goes in.

pob

Quote from: Kasdal on October 29, 2021, 07:23:46 PMWorks well. Can recommend. I also added one of these to it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014782981.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dQFGje3

I'd be wary of using any plastic that doesn't specifically say food grade.

Pheeel

I got similar but from Malt Miller. Despite cold crashing any of my hoppy beers would always end up bringing over too much hop crap and it'd clog my taps. Always a battle. It certainly helps having the floaty. The only negative is that the keg kicks earlier but seeing what was left in the keg I'm okay with that!!
Issues with your membership? PM me!

phildo79

These aren't massively necessary in a serving keg, provided you have transferred cleanly from the FV. I have one of these that I use in my 23L fermenting keg and two caskwidge floats that I no longer use. They are a good idea (the caskwidge) but they are not designed for corny kegs and end up leaving a good bit of beer in the keg. Any sediment or debris that might have transferred over should be expelled in the first pour anyway. I replaced all my dip tubes, only to put them all back in.

If you are having trouble with clogged up posts etc., you need to address your transferring method.

DEMPSEY

I have 1 of these filter tip I got from Ali, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014782981.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dQFGje3. Plan to fit it to a corney for using it as a cask, however, not sure about how to keep the corney sealed as the co2 pressure in the corney for a cask might not be high enough :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

CH

Get yourself a spare liquid out tube and cut a couple of cm off it or a short spare gas in tube and insert with a length of silicone tubing attached to your desired length.
Who puts mad amounts of hops in their beers these days anyway ;)

phildo79

Quote from: tsoonamee on October 29, 2021, 07:21:05 PMHappy Friday Folks. I am considering to upgrade my kegs with something called floating ball. The simple idea is it wont suck sendiment until the end of the keg. Eg:   US $10.33  6%OFF | Floating Beer Keg Liquid Dip Tube Fit Ball Lock & Pin Lock Beer Keg SS Ball Float 80cm Silicone Tube
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ywSLs . Could anyone share his experiences/ feedback if ever use it ? There are many variations of this idea including fit to the lid or direct mount to the post. My kegs are pin lock cornelius!
Are you getting sediment coming through with every pour? Because you really shouldn't be. How do you transfer from the FV to the keg?

tsoonamee

I got sendiment flowing from my recent neipa. Beer had strange behaviour when all seems to settle down and first half of the pint was cloudy as expected , then suddenly start foaming and some particles can be observed further down. It looks like pouring activated sandiment. That happened till the end of the keg.

phildo79

Quote from: tsoonamee on November 14, 2021, 11:01:20 PMI got sendiment flowing from my recent neipa. Beer had strange behaviour when all seems to settle down and first half of the pint was cloudy as expected , then suddenly start foaming and some particles can be observed further down. It looks like pouring activated sandiment. That happened till the end of the keg.
Are you doing closed transfers, under pressure?

tsoonamee

I don't have equipment for pressure transfer. All was cleaned to the bare metal including seals, posts , pipes etc.I never had any single problem with contamination. For kegging I use caustic soda , water flush and citric acid to deactivate (used the same for used FV) . The only difference to that neipa was dry hopping - nothing else different comparing to other brews. Will let you know if that gadget fixed my brew

phildo79

If you are just draining your FV into the keg, then you will transfer all sorts of debris that you would hardly even notice. And lots of hop debris if you have dry hopped. I would suggest using the floating ball with the mesh filter inside your FV when transferring. You can use a second one in your keg, if you want.