• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:18 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CO2 from AJ Edge, Bray, and the NHC

Started by JimmyM, March 15, 2013, 03:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyM

March 15, 2013, 03:25:00 PM Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:17:01 PM by johnrm
Gary at AJ Edge will fill any size CO2 tank for €10. There is better value with larger cylinders.

They have stock of 5Kg tanks that they're happy to give away - old fire extinguishers with no valves. If you buy a valve for €28 from them they'll stick it on a tank for you, and for another €10 they'll fill it. So €38 for a 5Kg tank full.

Also, if you have a smaller cylinder (say 2Kg) they will swap the valve onto a 5Kg and fill it for a tenner all in once the customer's valve matches a tank in stock. so you can upgrade a 2Kg tank to a 5Kg for free.

Just say you're from the National Homebrew Club.
Formerly JamesM.

imark

Great work! Will be taking advantage of that great offer in the not too distant future.

Ciderhead

March 19, 2013, 07:03:50 PM #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:04:44 PM by Ciderhead
Well done Tube for finding AJ Edge how did you ever come across them and getting a deal for gas as well ;)
So glad its a sticky, it'll never disappear into room 101 now.

Padraic

March 19, 2013, 07:20:02 PM #3 Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:35:05 PM by Padraic
Maybe you should stick a link in for those of us who are extremely lazy!

Can't find their Website so this will do:

http://www.sayso.ie/en/bray-30280/aj-edge-ltd-p11742050

Any idea if they open at the weekends? Or are they a 9-5 setup?

It's only 20 mins walk from the dart station according to google earth as well so handy for us who are on foot!

Snuff

Well done.
I will see about the 2kg to 5kg with valve swap next time I need a refill.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

Greg2013

Do you buy the valves off them or where?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

joc

€28 or 40 for filled tank no possibility for postal etc
what do you want with a tank of C02 ;)

barkar

I use mixed gas and am toying with the idea of using pure c02 for force carbing , the last few attempts have been a bit hit and miss good head retention but not so much bubbles on the tongue/ a bit flat  for the sytle etc. With the fire extinguisher do you need an extra regulator? , i.e. how do ye determine or know how much co2 you have pushed/ carbed the corny with to avoid over carbing ?

joc

Quote from: barkar on April 19, 2013, 10:56:15 AM
I use mixed gas and am toying with the idea of using pure c02 for force carbing , the last few attempts have been a bit hit and miss good head retention but not so much bubbles on the tongue/ a bit flat  for the sytle etc. With the fire extinguisher do you need an extra regulator? , i.e. how do ye determine or know how much co2 you have pushed/ carbed the corny with to avoid over carbing ?

Yes a €35 reg from Alex connected to the tank set at 10-20psi depending on what you are carbing

barkar

Might chance getting a fitting for adapting the mixed reg to take a co2 bottle , from what i gather they are set to a take a higher pressure than a co2 bottle , so there should be no saftey issues, i am sure a brass fitting might do the job form a weld shop or something

Ciderhead

Just to update this thread re AJ EDGE in bray, Gary and his boss confirmed to me that getting hold of 5 kg steel tanks is getting harder to source as they are all being replaced by aluminiun and it's the luck of the draw if they have them now or not.
The price is in fact €40 for a second hand steel filled one incl valve.
If you just want a tank filled irrespective if its 2,5 or 6kg its still just €10  :).

He has the option to supply shiny new red alumium tanks (they are lovely and if I was starting out..) but the valve into the tank itself is straight rather than tapered and is more expensive at 32 euro. A full new shiny red aluminium tank filled will set you back €80.
Remember to quote NHC!

Ps I cleaned him out of steel ones before I left ;)

JimmyM

will aluminum not make me forget what i said?
Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

Formerly JamesM.

johnrm

beerfly

Quote from: JimmyM on May 16, 2013, 06:55:26 PM

only if you drop it on your head  :D