• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 09:05:41 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Great British Hop

Started by sub82, October 17, 2013, 11:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub82

October 17, 2013, 11:03:08 PM Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:28:44 PM by sub82
This was on the Food Program on Radio 4 last Sunday. Hopefully you can listen in the South?

The Great British Hop

Basically talking about the increase in microbreweries resulting in an increase in hop farms due to the demand for locally sourced high quality hops.  :P

Eoin

I was in my usual real ale boozer in Consett recently, their flagship house ale uses C hops.

Sent from my HTC One

sub82

Really interesting about the guy who moved to America (20 years ago) to open a brewery because his beers weren't appreciated!

Would there still be some of that these days?

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 18, 2013, 11:07:36 AM
I would say yes, and I would lay a large part of the blame at CAMRA's door. Real Ale is grand, but man cannot leave on Real Ale alone.

I'd have a good shot at it without much pushing....

Sent from my HTC One

Dunkel

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 18, 2013, 10:42:47 AM
Start by paying attention to funkier hops, and co2, lots of co2. Leave the beer engines and the Fuggles for the auld fellas of yesteryear.

You're just trying to get me going, aren't you  ::)

Padraic

Quote from: Dunkel on October 18, 2013, 12:03:24 PM
Quote from: Il Tubo on October 18, 2013, 10:42:47 AM
Start by paying attention to funkier hops, and co2, lots of co2. Leave the beer engines and the Fuggles for the auld fellas of yesteryear.

You're just trying to get me going, aren't you  ::)

I take issue with the beer engines bit! Stop picking on us old traditionalists...

sub82

Haha - beer engines are class! Want to get one for the house.

I would be really interested to hear which hops the lady from the hops association was referring to when she was talking about different aromas.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Well British Hops have a bit of a bad rep. Too earthy in a lot of cases.

I haven't got a full appreciation for all the UK hops, but even the US hop heads are going nuts for Bramling Cross, and I personally think that Target is a beautiful hop, and EKG is a great all rounder.

Fuggles I think is in a lot of trouble. Its getting much harder to grow.