• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:17:33 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First Extract attempt - Belgian style blonde ale

Started by JASONM, June 23, 2015, 10:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JASONM

I'm relatively new to the homebrewing world. I started last year and have made about 7 batches so far. I started with a basic kit and quickly moved onto hacking my kits thanks to a lot of great advice on this board. So far, everything has worked out and I've been reasonably happy with my results. However, I'm still looking to improve on my process and try new things. As a result,  I'm looking to try an extract brew and create  a Belgian style blonde ale.

My equipment is still fairly basic so I'm not sure if I'm getting in over my head yet. I'd appreciate any advice or obvious gotchas I am missing.

Ingredients:

2 x  MUNTONS LIQUID MALT EXTRACT 1.5KG EXTRA LIGHT
1 x SPRAY-DRIED MALT EXTRACT EXTRA-LIGHT 1KG
500G Brewing sugar

500G Cara blond - steeped

WILLAMETE hops added at 60, 15 and 5 minute , 25G each

White Labs WLP500 yeast

I only have a 10L pot for boiling. So the plan is to just steep the grains and boil the DME. The LME will just be added straight to the fermenter same as I do in kit brewing and then top off with cold tap water.

Aside from the longer boil, the process is pretty much what I do when I've hacked a kit.

This will also be my first time using liquid yeast. Not sure if this will require a starter or not.

The goal is to get a nice light colored beer with ABV around 6-7% range. Strong malt profile with slight fruity notes from the yeast and hop choices.

Thoughts, comments, recommended adjustments? Thanks in advance.

DEMPSEY

Check the age of the yeast vile/pack that you have. The older it is the less amount of viable cells there will be. If it is fairly old it might be best to make a starter as pitching too little yeast is often a common problem that many of us homebrewer's do :o,not me of course :-X. Good luck with the brew :).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us