• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:29 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

counterflow how to

Started by DEMPSEY, September 14, 2012, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

September 14, 2012, 04:47:04 PM Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:55:23 PM by admin
I would do a demonstration of how to make a counterflow,if you like. A list of the parts and where to get them here in Ireland. I do not need one as I already have one so the unit made could be sold or whatever.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Spud395

Been wondering about making one as I'm always conscious of using water (my own well) with my immersion chiller. This is better since I started using a whirlpool a la Jamil but even the time it takes to chill a batch is a pain, especially if I brew 40-45L which I do from time to time.

Do you have any figures on chill times and water use by any chance?
Non modo......sed etiam

Padraic

I've always wondered about cleaning these. Is it as simple of pumping a bit of water through after your wort and leaving it on it's side to drip dry? And then some sanitisation solution on brew day?

DEMPSEY

going to sort out a supply list for this tomorrow. I will need 3 sets of spare hands when the time comes to assembly of this,2 sets to bend it and 1 set to video it. Maybe a 4th set to take photo,s as well.

DEMPSEY

Have being pricing materials for this today,however since 10mm copper comes in 10m coils,I have being trying to source the pvc cooling tubing at a reasonable price and only seem to be able to get it in 30m coils. Anybody got idea,s :(

JimmyM

What size PVC pipe do you need?
Can you see it on this site?
www.build4less.ie
site is shite though.

Im making a big order from here soon - free delivery over 400 euro -  Prices arent bad - on certain things.
Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

flexi stuff in 6m lengths max 1 inch (whats that in euros) thickness not sure if thats what ur looking for.
https://www.goodwins.ie/c-697-pex-pipe.aspx?view=&pageNum=1

Prices are a pile of shite on that site though....
its 170 for 2x 25m coils and 200 for a 50 m coil - you get penalised for buying more. Not sure whether you can join that stuff though.
Anyway thats all im doin for ya!
Formerly JamesM.

DEMPSEY

thanks james but this is qualpex,no problem using it but I will need to use a pipe bender which I have. Was trying to see if this could be a wiki entry

DEMPSEY

In order to do a wiki showing how to make a counterflow,I am using easy accessible parts,compression fittings instead of soldering ones and a lite pvc tubing to make the cooling jacket that can easily bend with the 10mm copper pipe in it without the need for a pipe bender,also parts available in Ireland and where to get them

DEMPSEY

Cahalbrua

Brian i have everything ready to go to make the same counterflow as yours,just hav'nt got around to building it yet.i got the tubing the same as yours from jj gillans.was first told their tubing wouldnt fit 1" compression but went back and asked to see what they had and it is the very same as your tubing,a bit small on the ID but you can get the insert into it.If you want to do a demo video you can useĀ  my stuff.although i'm fairly handly at building, their maybe someone a little less hands on that would like to take this chance to have their counterflow built for them.
Cathal

DEMPSEY

DEMPSEY

QuoteI have about 6 metres of 3/4" mains pressure pipe (that's 33 years old :o)
do you still have this and is it copper

DEMPSEY

I know but when I read this again I thought you might have forgot you had this.