• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:09:44 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Pulled Pork Recipe

Started by bachus, September 07, 2015, 07:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

Its always sign of a good bbq sauce when you have to make industrial batches in your brew kettle  :)

nigel_c

I made a bba sauce a while back and used a bottle of  Bigfoot as the base for it. Was SO good. It didn't last long. I was having it o everything. Toast and Bigfoot bbq sauce for breakfast.

Hop Bomb

Quote from: nigel_c on September 10, 2015, 08:45:22 PM
Its always sign of a good bbq sauce when you have to make industrial batches in your brew kettle  :)

Yip! haha  Made this today for work bbq this sat.

I did similar with buried at sea a few months back. Had to boil for a long time to reduce it down but tasted great. Wouldnt bother again coz of the time it took though.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Bart

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 10, 2015, 08:41:39 PM
.5 Tbsp. Kosher salt
Where do you get this or what you use instead?

Bubbles

Quote from: Bart on September 11, 2015, 11:16:00 AM
Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 10, 2015, 08:41:39 PM
.5 Tbsp. Kosher salt
Where do you get this or what you use instead?

It's the American term for flaked, rock salt. Maldon is easily available in most supermarkets.

Hop Bomb

I just use fine himalayan sea salt. Pure cheap in the asian shops.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

DEMPSEY

OK question how do you get sea salt from the Himalaya's  ???
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

bachus

Quote from: DEMPSEY on September 11, 2015, 02:11:58 PM

Have you missed last group trekking in the Himalayas? From the left: Ciderhead, Molc,  Bubbles(...)

Dominik (bachus)

sub82

Have made Felicity Cloake's recipe from the Guardian once and it was really good. Slightly on the salty side for my tastes so would cut back a bit next time.

How to cook perfect pulled pork

The final blast at 220oC really crisped up the crackling!

Quote1.6kg shoulder of pork from the neck end, bone in
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a roasting tin with sheets of foil big enough to fold over the top of the pork, then pat the meat dry with a paper towel and add it to the tin. Mix together the salt, sugar and paprika and rub about half into the meat.

2. Put the pork into the hot oven for about 40 minutes until well browned, then take out and turn down the heat to 125C. Pour the liquid smoke over the pork if using, then fold the foil over the top to make a sealed parcel. Put back in the oven and cook for about 6–7 hours, until the internal temperature measures 89C and it's soft enough to spoon. Pour off the juices and reserve.

3. Turn the heat back up to 220 and cook the pork, uncovered, for 10 minutes to crisp up. Take out, cover with a tent of foil, and leave to rest for 30 minutes.

4. Use two forks, or your fingers to pull into shreds, cutting up the crackling too, and then add the rest of the seasoning, and any meat juices from the tin, and stir in. If possible, leave to soak for 24 hours before reheating in a warm oven to serve.

Eoin

It's mined, nice stuff too. I've started using sel gris, it's very unrefined, dirty looking stuff, but very good for you as salt goes.
Maldon isn't exactly kosher salt, kosher salt is a bit heavier for pickling, more like the rough salt for grinders you can get in lidl. Maldon is a very good fleur De sel and has more minerals than kosher which is pretty refined sodium chloride, just like Saxa. Maldon is excellent flavoursome salt however, but a bit good in my opinion for bulk usage.

dcalnan

Look out for the Irish Atlantic sea salt, it's really good and they have flavoured ones, including a smoked one, which is great for steaks on the grill inside. I make the Franklin sauce last week for a pulled pork, it was amazing, but unfortunately the pork my brother got me was useless,  10+ hours in a slow cooker and it was still tough, ive found a better source for in the future.

Eoin

Not disagreeing with the use of Maldon by the way, where flavour is important I'd always prefer it.

Will_D

Err can we not just buy Irish Sea Salt?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

bachus

Dominik (bachus)

Drum

Quote from: bachus on September 11, 2015, 02:34:00 PM

Have you missed last group trekking in the Himalayas? From the left: Ciderhead, Molc,  Bubbles(...)

LOL  ;D   Wheres the list to sign up for the next one?