• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:50:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Open Ardbir - Open source platform for brewing process control and automation

Started by gazz, September 18, 2015, 11:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Yes advisable I ran a 3Kw on a 40A one, temp went up to 78 on SSR backplate, 24 with heatsink

molc

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

pob

Bigger box found & bits moved across.

Panel 3D printed (@McMelloW: thanks for link, great turnaround from Karl in Bray), it's an older version but fine for 1st version. I'll get latest version next time.

Neutrik connectors added (From top: 2 kettle elements, pump)

Heatsink for both SSRs added.

Plan to brew again with it this week.

(Ooops, just noticed mahoosive images, I'll update on PC later.)

pob

Next: Grainfather version

Single SSR, IEC female sockets, smaller enclosure.

McMelloW

Greetings McMelloW

IBU = I Brew in Utrecht
with a Grainfather and an Open ArdBir control box

dcalnan

That looks really nice, I'm about to enter the rabbit hole and start looking into an ardbir. You're really lucky with 3d printing, down in Cork I was looking up to print a stirplate and the startup cost for printing alone was over €50 euro.

pob

Thanks to McMelloW for pointing me to www.3DHubs.com. He's a link to the 3D model.

I found a local guy who quoted €8.25 set up & €6.76 for the panel, approx 11.5cm3. He actually dropped it off as he was passing, great service within 2/3 days (if you're organised). There are a few versions of the panel so I'm just waiting to get the files of the latest version before I print again.

The newer panel is a bit thicker at ~14 cm3 (think some machines prices start at a minimum of 22.5cm3).

I'm sure postage if wrapped will only be a couple of quid.

[Eagle-eyed folks will spot the finish on the panel is a bit rough, it's actually the first panel that was printed & it warped. I'm using it just to put this box together & will use the much better finished version on on the Grainfather version (keep Fishjam happy)]

johnrm

darren996

Great job lads..this is a really interesting thread... keep up the good work..

Are all of ye using grainfathers or have ye built your own rigs.

pob

Above one is for my BIAB Keggle with 2 x 2.2kW elements (& eventually a March pump).

Grainfather has a 2kW main heater for boil & initial strike temp (& a 500W for maintaining Mash temp).
Ardbir ignores the 500W and just runs PID on 2kW for the Mash & PWM controls it for the Boil

Will_D

I think the GF heating elements need checking.

Its rating plate states 2000 W

It all depends on how the Mash/Boil Switch is wired?

If the 500 W element is not used when boiling it seems a shame to loose out on the extra 500 watts.

A bit of a rewire could then give us 2500 - would make a HUGH difference to the GF

Will have a look later
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

pob

If they can be wired together that would be handy.

Oh, look more ...

(Wiring needs connecting up & temp probe needs calibration)

(Won't mention chuck tracks)

I need to look at making a bracket to slot into the existing GF handle. A long, thin steel/aluminium strap formed around enclosure should work.

McMelloW

Pob

Nice small box. You cut off the edges of the Panel?

The lower bracket is attached with a couple of screws. It can be removed easy. I think of removing the bracket and attach a kind of hook/clip at the back of the box. Just hang it on the GF on the big bracket. You have to push back the hook to release and unhook it.

I did some testing today with water. It all went pretty good.
Greetings McMelloW

IBU = I Brew in Utrecht
with a Grainfather and an Open ArdBir control box

pob

Didn't need to cut anything, I'm using an earlier drawing of the panel.

Do you have pics of the bracket?

Were the PID figures ok?