• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:24:00 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

IBD General Brewing Cert

Started by garciaBernal, October 01, 2015, 10:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garciaBernal

Does anyone have any recommendations on books to read that are relevant to the IBD Brewing Cert? Or better still does anyone have the PDF's they send out? Going to sign up for the exam in the new year but would like to get a head start.
Cheers.
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Brenmurph did it and passed I believe. Talk to him, or more likely, let him talk to you....  :P
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

garciaBernal

Speak to Brenmurph has been the response to most of my queries over the last few months!
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Sorcerers Apprentice

I don't know if you have tried the sample questions, but it's a good place to start.

http://www.ibd.org.uk/qualifications/examinations/gcb/168/examination-information/

This used to be one of the recommended books, I'm sure I have a copy lying around which you could borrow, where are you based?
http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Michael-J-Lewis/dp/0306472740
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

garciaBernal

Yeah I've tried the sample questions alright. If I could borrow that book for a few months that would be great. I'll even give you a free usb key with 30 odd books in word format ranging from Yeast, Water, Designing Great Beers, For The Love of Hops, Froth, Mastering Homebrew, How To Make Beer Like a Pro, Radical Brewing, Sustainable Brewing, The Brewers Apprentice, The Complete Beer Course, The Craft Of StoneBrewing, The Oxford Companion to Beer, Beyond the Pale and Brew Like a Monk! Plus a few more.
I could do with something a bit more technical and on the science/chemistry/brewery process side of things. Living in Ballymahon in the county of Longford.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Ive had a look and found
Basic Brewing Science
By Dr Trevor Wainwright
Which might suit better.
PM me your Parcel Motel details and I'll post it to you
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

LordEoin

February 15, 2017, 12:26:34 PM #7 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:43:07 PM by LordEoin
Don't course notes unlock when you pay for exams?
These ones i think: http://www.ibdlearningzone.org.uk/brewing-exam-resources
Or is that only if you pay for training too?

garciaBernal

Yeah they send you an email with the notes when you pay for the exam.

LordEoin

February 15, 2017, 12:44:51 PM #9 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:19:30 PM by LordEoin
Anyone here have those notes?
I'd like to take a look through and see if it's worth doing.

The more I look at this, the more it seems like a crafty scheme to separate people from obscene amounts of cash.

QUALIFICATION:

Brochure
Cert: NQF level 3 = NFQ level 4 (lower leaving cert, vocational education and training qualifications)
Diploma: NQF level 4 = NFQ level 5 (higher leaving cert. vocational education and training and upper secondary general qualifications)
Master: NQF level unspecified (probably somewhere around irish 3rd level cert or diploma)

EXAM FEES:
General Cert in Brewing exam - €245
Then membership needs to be paid to be able to progress to diploma & master - £99 per year for the first 3 years, then £138 per year. Free after 40 consecutive years.
Diploma in Brewing exams- £780
Master Brewer Exams - €1350

TRAINING FEES
Cert Syllabus
Cert - £875
Diploma Syllabus]
Diploma module 1: Materials & Wort       - course £1505 or online £995
Diploma module 2: Yeast & Beer            - course £1505 or online £995
Diploma module 3: Packaging & process - course £3160 or online £1885
Master Brewer Syllabus
Master Brewer module 1: Materials & Wort - £1020
Master Brewer module 2: Fermentation & Beer Processing - £1020
Master Brewer module 3: Packaging & Beer Dispense - £1325
Master Brewer module 4: Central Functions - £1325

If you add it all up, and do one module per year as they recommend, to Master Brewer totals out at:
£2,918 - Exam + Membership
£13,778 - Training + Exams + Membership

How to Brew by John Palmer seems like a bargain now... :D