• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:04:40 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Reverse Osmosis

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, October 26, 2015, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imark

Is it one of the 10euro ones from eBay? I use them but when they go funny I dump them. At that price they're disposable.

LordEoin

February 04, 2016, 11:25:32 PM #32 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:38:44 PM by LordEoin
Quote from: auralabuse on February 03, 2016, 12:06:06 PM
I'm curious as to how the ro system dumps water at a ratio of 4 to 1. I thought it just forced the water through progressively tighter filters. Could you be talking about a softener?, I ask this coz I haven't got a clue
see doc horrible's explanation as it's probably better than what i can remember.

I looked into it at the time and it's something along the lines of the system has to flush the mineral thick water out to keep a supply of cleaner water on the outside of the RO membrane. Otherwise the concentrate will just sit there getting thicker and thicker.

the RO part in theory is more like a grading machine than a filter.
look at this video of a seed grader and imagine the RO water is the small bits coming out the bottom and the 'dirty' water is the big bits coming out the right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INFmDwfMi0g

The support dude said it would be 4 parts RO to 1 part waste but after buying, installing and testing it I was getting 4 times more out of the waste line than to the tap. I complained repeatedly until they agreed to collect it from me and refund the full price. They were very nice about it and I've no beef with them, I think the first guy probably read the ratio wrong.

This is the unit I bought: http://www.water2buy.ie/reverse-osmosis/reverse-osmosis-pumped-water2buy-ro600

I believe you'll have more waste water with the non-pumped version, and you have more waste as the reservoir gets more full due to counter pressure.

neoanto

Yea its more like 60% useful water and 40% waste.
There are some websites out there that go into the exact details. But its along those lines.

bigvalen

Has anyone managed to get an RO filter as an input to the HLT ? Seems most kits want to give you a 3 gallon reservoir, which isn't really needed.

I was thinking an RO filter going into the HLT, with a float switch and solenoid might be a nice idea...turn the tap the day before, and you've 20 gallons of RO water, ready to rock next morning.

imark

The one on the eBay link SA posted early in this thread will suit what you are looking for.

Sorcerers Apprentice

It's not as straightforward as that, there's a special float valve required which shuts off the low pressure outlet of the RO unit and simultaneously shuts off the high pressure inlet to the unit.
There is only a requirement for a 3 unit to unit as the final two filters are only used to remove the rubber taste in the water caused by the rubber bladder in the reservoir, so if you are not using the reservoir the final two filters are not necessary

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Sorcerers Apprentice

Here's a copy of the reply which I received when I queried them about installing  a float valve

Hello,

Thankyou for your message.

Do you know what your water pressure is like please??

As that way I will be able to advise on if you need a pumped or unpumped RO system.
If you have sufficient pressure for an unpumped system, you need to ensure that it has a 4 way control valve which will allow the float valve to automate the system.

brenmurph

http://www.aquaeuro.ie/Details_eu.asp?ProductID=1294

as i said in my talk im using ro since 2012 and never looked back

people spend a fortune on water in plastic bottles of water the water itself may be debatable, then add in toxins from the plastic.....ange every three months 7 r 8

a ro kit is 200 euros with 3 x 5 micron filters, then ro filter then a post carbon filter.

the first filter I change every 3 months. the next 2 carbon block filters are tenner each and the ro membrane I have tyet to change.

at 200 euros ( get a loan from credit union or something) its a fiver a week for a one year load...

whats a fiver a week for both health and great beer. RO water rocks for brewing.

The waste is not waste..considering the Irish water people generally consider their water to be safe to consume and we then put it through the first three filters, how can we sa that RO waste water is waste when Reasonable safe water supply has gone through three 5-micron filters is crazy.. the filtered water which is very pure is used to backflush the sensitive ro membrane to remove minerals and and even the smallest molucules like fleouride.

with ro you can tap into the line after the third filter and just use plain triple filtered water or take the ro treated water from the end outlet. Thats a good choice

so for brewing

use RO water
step 1 save the first 2 gallons before going to bed
step 2 save the next two gallons then next morning and the u will have another 2 gallons while you brew

the other thing is use the 5 gallon containers in my slide show and save the water in advance

otherwise you can ge a much bigger tank
other idea may be for local groups to have a ro between yis.

Hopefully ye picked up on the main ingredient yesterday  ....water.....get into it and ye wont look back.

The ro "waste can be saved into a tank and used, used for gardening or used for brewing whichever..its not waste.

as dr gearoid mentioned yesterday  ion exchange water may be poblematic as theres salt exchanged for minerals and thats how its softened.....so dont confuse ro with it. RO is completely filtered water......then.......the minerals are removed by the second last filter (ro membrane) and then another final carbon filter to be sure.....

hope this helps give my insights...
If anyone wants to see it in action and discuss I have RO at sallins and also down at maltcracker base in kildare and have successsfully used it for 4 years

Sorcerers Apprentice

Here's a video from Bobby M showing how he collects his RO
https://youtu.be/oZuHZMLlpPc

Sorcerers Apprentice

I believe that you need about 2-3 bar mains water pressure to work the cheaper units if you don't have this pressure then you'll need a pumped system similar to the one in Bren's link

brenmurph

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on April 25, 2016, 08:43:44 AM
I believe that you need about 2-3 bar mains water pressure to work the cheaper units if you don't have this pressure then you'll need a pumped system similar to the one in Bren's link

Agree gud mains pressure is required. Theres only 20euro diference therefore i recomend pumped anyways

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

Motorbikeman

Can a system like that adjust the PH of tap water?   

I have heard a lot of people in my area complain of things like IBS and skin complaints, and blame the acid water in the sallins and Johnstown area.   We buy gallons of drinking water in the household because of it.  200 euro seems like a   reasonable investment to prevent such ailments.

Will_D

I believe that RO systems will modify the pH as they are removing the ions that move the baseline pH 7.

Now when it comes to the comment that RO water needs 3 or 4 times the amount of fresh water where does this info come from? The video clearly shows the initial 3 filters, Sediment and 2 carbon filters. These have to be replaced periodically. The expensive bit is the RO filter wihich has the semi-permeable membrane. Are these replaced or back flushed?

Not sure if back flushing would work!

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

brenmurph

My earlier post........4 yrs never changed a ro membrane. The membrsne flushes at a ratio to ro water demand automatocally

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk