• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:51:42 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Covering Exposed Terminals on a Keggle

Started by Dr Jacoby, October 16, 2012, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Jacoby

I'm looking to cover two element terminals on my keg to avoid electrocuting myself the next time I brew. In the past I covered them with cone-shaped plastic wraps but I had to remove those recently to change the cable and I'd prefer to fit something a bit more solid if possible. I was thinking that some kind of electrical box might do the job, but since the keg is curved I'm having trouble finding something that will attach onto the keg snugly.

Does anyone know if there are electrical boxes available that are designed to fit onto curved surfaces? 
Every little helps

Stitch

Not designed but would bend to the shape are the obo junction boxes. Sometimes called coffin boxes.

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/5-amp-connector-coffin-box-90mmx40mmx40mm-ip54.html

Terminals in this one a rated for 5 amps so you would need to swpa out. I would say remove and place connection throught the back and bend onto the kettle. Then silicon in place. (May need to use imapct adhesive not sure above adhesives and temperatures.

Dr Jacoby

Cheers lads. I'd say a combination of both might do the trick.
Every little helps

Ciderhead

October 16, 2012, 07:42:02 PM #3 Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:46:44 PM by Ciderhead
Just use heat shrink tubing http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/products/heat-shrink/
Its 3 euro in my local electrical shop for a 3ft length
You will need a heat gun gas torch to apply, careful not to cook it :). doesn't take much to get it going.
Big blob of silicone sealant on terminals before you put the cover over the cable and sleeve shrinking will force out the excess making it waterproof

Spud395

Here's what I done with mine

It a pice of the keg top skirt welded over the element, silicone to hide dodgy weld.

I've seen a tidy job done by butchering fittings like these and just using the outer of them as a cover
Non modo......sed etiam

Dr Jacoby

Here's what I had before. I suppose I could go with the same wraps again, though I didn't apply heat the last time. They were fixed into place using JB Weld by the way. Great stuff.

Every little helps