• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:40:14 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Heating/Cooling controllers and home brew build

Started by Shanna, October 24, 2012, 11:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

October 24, 2012, 11:53:29 PM Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:54:00 PM by doshanahan
Hi there,

In part prompted by Tube's earlier post about "talking/writing shite" I thought I had better scratch this itch. I did not have time to write a short post so I decided I had better write a long one instead.

I can't seem to draw a line under the plans for building a home brewery. What started out as an plan to do boil in the bag has now turned in to a plan to convert two old S/S containers in to to a brewing kettle and a mashtun. The plan is to insulate the mashtun and use a pump to transfer the water from the kettle to the mashtun and back again. Hell I might even use it to power transfer of water from an external water but for cooling the beer (eventually).

So as part of this plan I started to think about how easy would it be to control the temperature on the kettle. I have bought a 5.5KM heating element that will be going in to my kettle. I want to be able to control the switch of the kettle automatically without having to stick a thermometer in to a 50Ltr vessel.

I have read many posts about people using UTC-800 or STC-1000 heat/cooling. My basic knowledge of electrics tells me that these controllers won't cut the mustard. a 5.5KW element will require approx 23amps to operate safely and to the best of my knowledge these two controllers only support 10am for heating and cooling.

So can anybody recommend a good controller that they have used with a higher amp rating, approx 35 to 40 amps? Ideally I would also like to be able to add support for cooling in the future if I decide to introduce a fridge in to the mad house that my shed is becoming ;-)

I might add that I am not doing this build alone as my brother is an electrician and will be making sure that everything is electrically sound so that i don't burn the garage down or electricute myself. This will at some point involve rewiring the shed. Strange I thought this home brewing lark was supposed to save money!!!

Regards,

Declan
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Will_D

You probably will not find a simple digital controller that will switch a 5.5 Kw element. This is approx 22 Amps.

Use the controller to control a 40 Amp Solid State Relay ( aka. SSR ) You can get these on e-bay from .china for about €8.

They are switched by a 3 to 5V Dc voltage so you need a 5v psu in your controller. The ATC-1000 is much smaller than the ATC-800 ( to say nothing of cheaper ), it is also calibratable ( Function 4 ) and also has the same relay ratings. As you are only switching 5V to the SSRs then relay contact rating is not a problem.

HTH!

Will

PS: Note I resisted the jibe at the 5 and a half kilometer long heating element!. That would certainly be loooooooow density at the best
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

October 25, 2012, 12:26:46 AM #2 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:28:48 AM by Ciderhead
One of these 30 Amp stc controllers
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290730216178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4814wt_897
and one of these for your stainless bathtub
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271068900173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2739wt_950
you can go mad and also use heat transfer paste

I am guessing you are hard wiring 22A to main fuse board as standard sockets won't handle that :)

Also consider 2 smaller elements in case one goes mid boil or coming up to sparge temp :(

Ciderhead

They have big fish tanks in China ;)
Will only heat or only cool not like my other stc's

Shanna

Yes it should have read kw not km. Predictive text at work on my phine. As the heating element is low density I cant help think you managed to get the jibe in :-)

Declan

PS: Note I resisted the jibe at the 5 and a half kilometer long heating element!. That would certainly be loooooooow density at the best
Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Garage wiring is yet to be done plan was to have a dedicated socket connected to a 25amp fuse on the fuse board.

Now that i am looking at controllers going to hold off till i get it sorted. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.

Declan

QuoteOne of these 30 Amp stc controllers
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290730216178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4814wt_897
and one of these for your stainless bathtub
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271068900173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2739wt_950
you can go mad and also use heat transfer paste

I am guessing you are hard wiring 22A to main fuse board as standard sockets won't handle that :)

Also consider 2 smaller elements in case one goes mid boil or coming up to sparge temp :(
Hops Group buy packer

christhebrewer

When you are putting in the  wiring you should put in a decent size cable while you're at it. I have 6square and a 40A breaker. I dose'nt cost much more to do and I can run a 6Kw kettle and other stuff without worries.
I use STC1000 controllers and 25A SSR's from e-bay. The SSR's were about €5. You can get them now with free shipping.

Shanna

Yes that is the plan to upgrade the wiring inside the garage. Thankfully main cabling between garage and house is of a higher rating so dont have to worry about thus.

Declan

QuoteWhen you are putting in the  wiring you should put in a decent size cable while you're at it. I have 6square and a 40A breaker. I dose'nt cost much more to do and I can run a 6Kw kettle and other stuff without worries.
I use STC1000 controllers and 25A SSR's from e-bay. The SSR's were about €5. You can get them now with free shipping.
Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Yes that is the plan to upgrade the wiring inside the garage. Thankfully main cabling between garage and house is of a higher rating so dont have to worry about thus.

Declan

QuoteWhen you are putting in the  wiring you should put in a decent size cable while you're at it. I have 6square and a 40A breaker. I dose'nt cost much more to do and I can run a 6Kw kettle and other stuff without worries.
Hops Group buy packer