• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:29:07 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

How do you clean your elements?

Started by admin, September 24, 2012, 02:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Finding it harder and harder to clean one of them. All I usually do is give em a good scrub with a sponge, but one in particular is accumulating a fair amount of shite.

Any tips welcome!

Stitch

Gave you tried to boil water with some citric acid in it?? This might help

Rossa

Caustic will do it. I did mine yesterday and they are gleaming now. In fact everything I cleaned yesterday is gleaming thanks to it.

Spud395

I have a specially trimmed tooth brush and just give them a scrub. The customized toothbrush reaches the parts other brushes cant.

Do this shortly after the boil when the crud is soft and it works a treat.
Although I do like the sound of caustic for a good deep clean now and again
Non modo......sed etiam

Padraic

Yea where best to get it? ALDI or LIDL? Can you just rinse it out then or do you need to do anything else with it?

Rossa

I got some brewing caustic that doesn't seem to take your hand off as the normal stuff does. still very powerful. I got it s few years ago off an American brewer who was moving home. you can pick the regular stuff up in woodies. Dangerous stuff though.

imark

I have been using Chemipro OXI that I got from thehomebrewcompany. It works well but at €12/kg I think it's a bit costly. I'm not sure what's in it.

I'd imagine there is surely some un-branded equivalent in the likes farm stores. Is that equivalent caustic?

MAF

I was given some PBW a while back, and it's great for cleaning elements.