• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:04:53 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Connical fermenters

Started by Will_D, October 25, 2012, 12:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Remeber the super shinny connicals they had at the RDS.

They had a pressure lid fitted with a huge o-ring a wedgy ring clamp.

Now to reproduce these would be sooper expensive!

Has any one seen a SS connical with a simpler design, but still sealed lid but not pressure proof and clamped down?

(For simple read cheap)

Also: Anyone have a spec for food grade welding in 316 SS?

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Jacob

October 25, 2012, 08:51:54 AM #1 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:53:53 AM by Jacob
Is that simple enough?

valves: Ø 1/2", Ø 1"
capacity: 50l
height: 125 cm.
dim: 40,5 cm.
weight: 14 kg.

MAF

Internal welds should be locally pickled, ground and polished to Ra less than or equal to 0.6 um between tramlines and naturally passivated.

DEMPSEY

QuoteInternal welds should be locally pickled, ground and polished to Ra less than or equal to 0.6 um between tramlines and naturally passivated.
eeh that's correct, :-/isn't it. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Rossa

I've a conical. I could take a snap. It is simple but efficient but a tap small at 30l. I use it a lot all the same.

MAF

QuoteInternal welds should be locally pickled, ground and polished to Ra less than or equal to 0.6 um between tramlines and naturally passivated.
eeh that's correct, :-/isn't it. :)
The weld spec I quoted was from a container used for pharmaceutical powders; cracks and crevices need to be non-existent to prevent places where powder (or microbes) can build up. Hence the same weld spec would be suitable for a 316L SS fermentor.

btw 'um' is [ch956]m (or micron) I didn't have the greek symbol on me phone earlier ::)

Partridge9

QuoteI've a conical. I could take a snap. It is simple but efficient but a tap small at 30l. I use it a lot all the same.

Could I be so rude to ask - where did you get yours from ??

Partridge9

This is the one from the Hop and Grape

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/detailv1.asp?itemcode=STA20064229

but if you include the Tri-Clamp fittings and the blow-off its almost 1000 Sterling !

Will_D

IIRC:

The ones on the stall next to us at the RDS were a fair bit cheaper than the above two and available in Dublin!

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing