• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:59:10 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Fermentation temp control build

Started by rukkus, November 04, 2012, 08:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rukkus

I've been thinking of ways to control temps for fermentation without having to have another fridge. I see morebeer does this using peltiers. I've just ordered 5 90w peltiers on ebay for about 20 euro. I also have an arduino on the way. I'm thinking of throwing a big heat sink and fan on one side of one of these and somehow connecting the other side directly onto a corny and then insulating the corny.

The theory is depending on which way the current flows the peltier either heats or cools the corny. Add a temp sensor to the arduino and magic things can happen if the peltier can transfer enough heat.

These things seem to work compressed between two surfaces. The heat sink is easy but the curved surface of the corny could cause some fun.

Thoughts.....?

Partridge9

Holy mother of god - (excuse the religious reference) that sounds like a serious amount of work - but I like your endeavour !

Will_D

The Lidl/Russel Hobbs beer machine uses a large machined chunk of aluminium. One side flat for the pelties, t'other id curved to snug up against the mini-keg.

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

rukkus

November 05, 2012, 06:10:29 PM #3 Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:12:25 PM by rukkus
Sounds like it'll work then. Just a matter if it'll manage 20l

Oh and the arduino arrived today :D

Ciderhead

November 05, 2012, 06:16:45 PM #4 Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:39:20 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteSounds like it'll work then. Just a matter if it'll manage 20l

Oh and the arduino arrived today :D

You lost me at peltiers,   :o
post pictures and show us how it works :)

rukkus

I'll post progress as I go. Waiting on peltiers at the moment :)

Will_D

Some rambling thoughts:

The peltiers have to exposed on the hot side as they need cooling fans.

The cold side needs to be flush with the container wall for max heat transfer.

The beauty of using a fridge is that its insulated!!

Your cooler is going to have to be out in the open in free air so the fans work efficiently

So you need to insulate the fermenter every where except at the Peltiers.

If you used a stainless pot as the inner container for the wort then you could hammer flat the areas where the peltiers mount. The rest of the pot's surface is convered in insulation. As much as you can get. Don't forget to sit it on a block of styrofoam and also to insultate the lid.

Maybe not pretty but it might be an optimal solution

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing