• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:46:07 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Fermentor Immersion Heater

Started by Padraic, October 07, 2012, 08:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

Has anyone used one of these yolks?

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/electrim-75-immersion-heater-p-692.html

Are they good for keeping a constant fermentation temperature?

But my obvious main concern: are they easy enough to clean/sanitise?

Coming into winter I guess it'll be easier to use a solution that doesn't require me to be able to cool as well... I want to start having control over my yeast!

Other fermentation temp control solutions are very welcome, ideally ones that will not increase the space taken up by my fermentor.

Padraic

Grand for €10 I'll give it a go!

I'll sort you out Saturday!

Padraic

I know! I'm terrible! I'll get someone to pick it up from yours on Saturday evening on the way back from abbeyleix! Sorry for being so slow to collect!

nigel_c

would never be worried about temp controller at the low end. even in the deepest frosts of winter a brew belt is a worst case scenario.

If your really that worried about a brew give it a good long hug. :)

Padraic

Quotewould never be worried about temp controller at the low end. even in the deepest frosts of winter a brew belt is a worst case scenario.

If your really that worried about a brew give it a good long hug. :)

I can only imagine herself's reaction seeing me hugging a fermentation bucket!

brenmurph

re the immersion heater, they are fish tank heaters for tropical fish. They keep very gud control of temp. For sanitary reasons  drop it into the wort 90% of the way and that way only the glass testube is actually in the beer leave the wire end up near the lid and the rubber bung.
The only concern I would have is where the rubber sealer attaches to the glass test tube is an area where bacteria could hide. If that part is not in the beer there shouldnt be a problem. I have a few new ones if anyone wants one.  Dont need them as I have temp controlled room which works way better.
Hope this helps. Bren

Padraic

I might be interested, depending on whether I like the one I got or not!

How much?

brenmurph

Hi padraic, have a few brand new ones unopened. Lets say half the price of the shops!
A great way to use these heaters is to put ur fermenter ( presuming many people use a 5-gall bucket) into a bigger bucket or large basin. Put water in the big bucket/ basin and put the heater in the basin. that way u dont put the heater in the wort, u can keep fermenter lid tight and the tem will be controlled very accuratly and changes will be steady and slow to stop any temperature shock.

Padraic

I still haven't tested the one I got from Tube but will let you know how I get on!

Snuff

IIRC, there is a little arrow in the dial of the heater. When it points to the power cable it is about 20c.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -