• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:55:42 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Alternative brew mat/belt - Aldi

Started by JimmyM, November 13, 2012, 11:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyM

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24401.htm

Its a plate warmer 17.99 might work as a brew mat - with some modification as the outside would be insulated.
Havent actually got my hands on one but could be an option - I think slightly cheaper than what you pay for a brew belt in a hb shop too.
Formerly JamesM.

Taf

I'm in the market for a brewbelt at the moment, so this might be an option. I'm fermenting in the garage, so it's too cool at the moment. I have a brewbelt already, but it's a bit old, so could do with being replaced.

JimmyM

Id say its worth a punt.
The heat belts and immersion heaters come in a little less than 30 euro in HBW and the heat trays are 37

With the aldi thing, You would have to see could it be modified to wrap round the fermenter or if there would be any issue with leaving the fermenter sitting on top of it while its on.
Worst case scenario you could just strap it to the side of the fermenter.
Formerly JamesM.

ColinC

November 13, 2012, 03:09:33 PM #3 Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:22:48 PM by ColinC
Would an electric blanket hooked up to a temp control unit not be better? Wrap around your fermenter with rope or bungee chord? Even when its not putting heat through the elements it would insulate your fermentor. And they only cost about €15 -€20 for a single bed size.

Just a thought....save you from butchering something that isn't really made for the purpose.....

JimmyM

Yep that would do the job too.
Didnt realise they were so cheap - might be good for heating your plates too :)
Formerly JamesM.

Will_D

They say its 102 * 21 cms and if you look at he photo its been folded zig-zag style with a plate between each fold, So yes I'm sure it would wrap rond a fermenter no problem. Just need a bungee to hold in place.

You will definitely need a temperature controller as a plate warmer would need to warm plates to 40 or 50C in order to live up to the "plate warmer" appelation!!

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

ColinC

QuoteDidnt realise they were so cheap - might be good for heating your plates too :)

Here's one in Argos for €18.99.
http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4500056/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/3%7C19536165%7CBedding+and+electric+blankets%7C14417895/c_3/4%7Ccat_14417895%7CElectric+blankets%7C14417924/Trail/searchtext%3EELECTRIC+BLANKET.htm

DEMPSEY

Or you could do what I do,run the hot water into the sink,and put the plates in it. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Padraic

QuoteWould an electric blanket hooked up to a temp control unit not be better? Wrap around your fermenter with rope or bungee chord? Even when its not putting heat through the elements it would insulate your fermentor. And they only cost about €15 -€20 for a single ned size.

Just a thought....save you from butchering something that isn't really made for the purpose.....

This might be a good option for anyone doing BIAB as well, insulate your boiler and be able to add a little bit of heat as well! (Or would the heat make any difference when it would be lower than the mash temp?)