• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 01:04:40 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer line for Group buy taps

Started by ColMack, November 12, 2012, 09:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColMack

Lads, is it 3/8" Inside Diameter or Outside Diameter beer line that I need for our group buy taps?  I have some metric beer line and it just doesn't fit the tap or my john guest reducer fitting 100%.  Am fed up with little leaks in the kegerator.
Where's the best place to buy it?  I only need a couple of feet.
Thanks.

Rats

Colin I use the 5/16(8mm) to my taps.If you have a loose tap take it to Woodies they sell 8mm pipe and you can measure it to see how it fits.
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

DEMPSEY

The B&Q shops also do a range of silicone and plastic tubing.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Will_D

QuoteLads, is it 3/8" Inside Diameter or Outside Diameter beer line that I need for our group buy taps?  I have some metric beer line and it just doesn't fit the tap or my john guest reducer fitting 100%.  Am fed up with little leaks in the kegerator.
Where's the best place to buy it?  I only need a couple of feet.
Thanks.

3/8" JG fittings are used with 3/8" od tubing.

Most beer line is 3/8" ( home & pub ). Most pubs use 5/16" gas lines but most homebrewers stick with 3/8"

Just need one set of 3/8 fittings

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DoWn2DiE

3/8 OD (outside diameter) is 1/4 ID (Inside diameter) on hoses

ColMack

I am still confused.
I have a 1/4" barb on the beer out connector, 5/16" pipe fits onto this quite tightly, but will not fit on to the barb on my tap.  So I have to use a John Guest fitting which takes 5/16" on one side and 3/8" out the other connecting to the tap.
Am I over complicating this or something?
I'm sure you're all using the same parts but where am I going wrong?

DEMPSEY

Use a cup of hot water,dip the end in it for a few minutes and it will give it brewers droop. :D :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

ColMack

I am using nylon (hard) pipe at the moment, in order to get a good seal in my John Guest fitting.  No matter how long you put 5/16" pipe into hot water, it will not stretch over a 3/8" barb on the tap.

I am still none the wiser.  Thanks anyway.

ColMack

I'm not sure to be honest but it's probably 5/16" outer diameter because it gives a good tight fit onto the 1/4" barb of the disconnect.

ColMack

That's what I thought, so I'm trying to find the exact beerline size/material/source because I have a pain in my face with small leaks whether at the John Guest fitting when closing the kegerator door or at the tap.
I've got half a dozen different beer line sizes and none does the job properly.

ColMack

No, none near me.  Will try Woodies.  What is it used for by ordinary non-brewing people?  ie what section is it in?

Rats

QuoteNo, none near me.  Will try Woodies.  What is it used for by ordinary non-brewing people?  ie what section is it in?
In Woodies the pipe are with the chains and ropes on the rolls.

ColMack

I got a couple of meters of the pipe in Woodies but all they have is 8mm, it fits onto the tap ok (though not very tight) but is way too big for the disconnect.

Back to the drawing board.

Rats

QuoteI got a couple of meters of the pipe in Woodies but all they have is 8mm, it fits onto the tap ok (though not very tight) but is way too big for the disconnect.

Back to the drawing board.
I had the same problem.....my solution.
7mm OD/6mm ID fishtank hose goes over QD barb(lenght of barb) than the 8mm hose goes over that. tight fit and add a hose clamp.
No leaks.
You're more than welcome to pop in to have a look at mine.Can give you a piece of the smaller hose.