• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:56:48 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Acquarium/Pet shops

Started by Padraic, November 15, 2012, 07:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

I hope to put a list here of the things that can be bought in a petshop that are useful for brewing. I would like to have a look at the local shops here (Dublin 1) and compare some prices but want to make sure I have a full list first)

So what am I looking for?

Immersion temperature control
Aeration stone & bits
Water testing kits (what are the different test kits that might be of use?)
Do spider/snake tanks ever use heat pads that might be suitable as heat pads/brew belts? Or are they all about the hot lights?

Padraic

Double post on purpose, I intend to just stick a list and prices up there!

I hope to put a list here of the things that can be bought in a petshop that are useful for brewing. I would like to have a look at the local shops here (Dublin 1) and compare some prices but want to make sure I have a full list first)

Immersion temperature control
Aeration stone & bits
Water testing kits (what are the different test kits that might be of use?)
Do spider/snake tanks ever use heat pads that might be suitable as heat pads/brew belts? Or are they all about the hot lights?

Will_D

QuoteI hope to put a list here of the things that can be bought in a petshop that are useful for brewing.

Can't resist:

Errm,hows about fish: big, tasty, cheap coz they're dead type ones, to go with the chips?

Anon
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

Seriusly tho'

Reverse Osmossis water

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

JimmyM

The heat lights can be useful too.
I think ive seen heat pads in pet shops too.
Formerly JamesM.

Partridge9

I bought one of these recently for my fish tank
--Eheim Air Pump - Eheim 200 (3702)

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/filters_pumps/air_pumps/air_pumps/126278

I think it would be excellent to aerate the wort. Simply run it in starsan for 20 mins and then empty the star san and fill in you wort - after an hour your wort will be jammed full of oxygen (well as jammed as you are going to get without using pure oxygen)

Stitch

I was buying the air stones from the pet shop for a while (cos they were very cheap) but they kept disintegrating. This could be something in the wort or the star san. Any one else come across this? Got a nice stainless steel one in the end  :)

DEMPSEY

QuoteI was buying the air stones from the pet shop for a while (cos they were very cheap) but they kept disintegrating. This could be something in the wort or the star san. Any one else come across this? Got a nice stainless steel one in the end  :)
Did ye forget to show us     this? :'(
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us