• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:24:30 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water Analysis

Started by sub82, November 12, 2015, 08:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub82

NI water now offer an automated water profile just by typing in your post code!

Water Profile

Roo

Thanks. My water is just like me.....moderately hard.
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

Bazza

Quote from: Roo on November 12, 2015, 08:34:59 PM
Thanks. My water is just like me.....moderately hard.
That sounds so wrong to these ears  ???

Good find, Chris.

-Barry 'slightly hard' McBazza

Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Will_D

Great service from niwater.com !!

Just entered my NI Parcel Motel post code and can download the water analysis.

Just need to persuade PM to ship me their water!!

Seriuosly tho', great support from ye're water company!

Need I say owt about our .ie new Water Company?!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

robotmonkey

Nice one! Moderately hard here too...

steve71ni

I think if you really care about the water chemistry its better to just test you water with the little aquarium kits.  There can be considerable variation and the values they are reporting are only averages which may not be very up to date.  I tend to use my own results for alkalinity and carbonate and take the average values for sulphate, chloride etc.

jhn1992

Amazing, been struggling on this for a while!

Thanks,
H
:-* :-* :-*

sub82

Quote from: steve71ni on November 13, 2015, 11:25:49 AM
I think if you really care about the water chemistry its better to just test you water with the little aquarium kits.  There can be considerable variation and the values they are reporting are only averages which may not be very up to date.  I tend to use my own results for alkalinity and carbonate and take the average values for sulphate, chloride etc.

Sounds interesting. What sort would you buy?

Ciaran

This a great resource.  Were you able to get specific values for
Calcium
Carbonate
Magnesium

are these listed under a different name or combined into other readings?

Quiet_Man

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,3667.msg45891.html#msg45891

Ciaran, I spoke with them a while back and posted their reply and some test results for BT6.

Q_M

Ciaran

Cheers Andy, yea I decided to just email them directly for the extra detail.  I've updated that thread for BT8 so hopefully that helps someone else.

belfastjacko

Bangor has soft water. Who'd have known

Ryan

BT36 is moderatley hard. i got a full report a few weeks ago.  bit of faffing about but they sent it across. 

ManseMasher

I emailed them asking specifically about elements of concern for brewing - they got back to me the same day. Brilliant service. What does strike me though is that these are annual results - as such I guess they are ball park figures to be used as a starting point, and must change - especially after the downpours of late! I would be interested to know if anyone tests their water more regularly, and what kits are used?

redshift

Yeah I test my water before each brew using the Salifert aquarium kits, one for calcium and one for alkalinity. These are the most important values, you can then make sure the mash pH will be in the right area and adjust the Ca level to where you want it by adding CaCl2 or CaSO4. Both these salifert kits are available on eBay.
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink...