• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 08:23:22 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Corny setup

Started by loftybush, November 20, 2012, 03:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loftybush

So I'm attempting to keg my first beer at the moment and have a few questions.

First of all the connection on my gas regulator and my gas disconnect are different sizes. I have two different size pieces of tubing that fit on each side, it there a connector I can get to connect the two pieces of tube?

Also, I managed to get some co2 into the keg, but not enough to carbonate it. Can I store the beer (uncarbonated) as long as I've flushed out the oxygen, and just force carbonate it when I intend to use it. Keeping this one for post xmas.

DEMPSEY

I would suggest you carbonate the beer and then store it for later.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Spud395

I got caught out like this before and done as Dempsey suggests. I primed the corney and got my gas sorted out later, still do in fact  ;)
Non modo......sed etiam

Padraic

QuoteIf you slightly over carbonate you'll be able to serve the whole thing on it's own CO2.

Is there a time limit to this pressure or could you empty a whole keg under it's own pressure over a couple of weeks? Or would you need to be emptying it over the course of a weekend?

loftybush

Regarding the first question, what do you guys go when connecting between two connection of different sizes (regulator vs gas disconnect, or beer disconnect vs tap)?

ColMack

QuoteRegarding the first question, what do you guys go when connecting between two connection of different sizes (regulator vs gas disconnect, or beer disconnect vs tap)?
For the gas side, I bought one of these.  It fits mybeerandwine Co2 regulator and the barb (1/4") is the same size as the disconnect.  5/16" pipe then fits both sides.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ONE-Brass-Hose-Barb-Coupler-1-4-Barb-x-1-4-NPT-/260421742011?pt=Pneumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item3ca2586dbb
For the beer side, I have just purchased some 7mm line which I hope will fit tightly to the 3/8" barb on mybeerandwine tap.  At the disconnect side, you need to fit on some 5 or 6mm pipe onto the disconnect and then fit the larger pipe (in my case 7mm ID) on top of that.  Fix some hose clamps at each end for extra peace of mind.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/140860748248?var=440081247011&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I have being trying to figure out the answer to this very question for over a year now and everyone has different solutions, none of which have worked satisfactorily for me yet.

loftybush

QuoteHave you barbed connectors, or are they John Guest?
They are barbed connections.

loftybush

QuoteRegarding the first question, what do you guys go when connecting between two connection of different sizes (regulator vs gas disconnect, or beer disconnect vs tap)?
For the gas side, I bought one of these.  It fits mybeerandwine Co2 regulator and the barb (1/4") is the same size as the disconnect.  5/16" pipe then fits both sides.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ONE-Brass-Hose-Barb-Coupler-1-4-Barb-x-1-4-NPT-/260421742011?pt=Pneumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item3ca2586dbb
For the beer side, I have just purchased some 7mm line which I hope will fit tightly to the 3/8" barb on mybeerandwine tap.  At the disconnect side, you need to fit on some 5 or 6mm pipe onto the disconnect and then fit the larger pipe (in my case 7mm ID) on top of that.  Fix some hose clamps at each end for extra peace of mind.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/140860748248?var=440081247011&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I have being trying to figure out the answer to this very question for over a year now and everyone has different solutions, none of which have worked satisfactorily for me yet.
Cheers, I'm going to try that connector in the first link you posted.

ColMack

I'll let you know how I get on with the beer line.  But this is an aspect of kegging that nobody warns you about.  I must have spent about €50 so far this year on different bits and pieces (JG fittings, barbs, pipes etc.) that are no use to me.  It's just been trial and error.

ColMack

Update:  I bought 7mm ID x 10mm OD silicone pipe from this crowd on ebay.  Very quick delivery.  The 7mm fits nicely over the tap barb (only connected today so not tested yet) and when heated fits over the piece of 5/16" pipe I put over the disconnect barb.
You could maybe get the 6mm ID pipe and that might fit both ends when heated in boiling water.
I needed about a metre of pipe for each tap to allow for kegerator door opening.
No more John Guest fittings!!!
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CLEAR-Silicone-Translucent-Soft-Rubber-Tubing-FDA-Approved-Milk-Hose-Beer-Tube-/251166955494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=550187778167&hash=item3a7ab797e6

Ciderhead

No more John Guest fittings!!!
Amen!
Atheists! JG fittings are a pain but for "grey" gas multilayer tubing manufactured by Valpar and others, they have better permeability stats for C02 that transparent PVC, not an issue for homebrewers for small lengths but when you are running miles of the stuff around bars ;)

Will_D

November 23, 2012, 10:00:32 PM #11 Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:11:30 PM by Will_D
Yea! +1 squared

The Guin. gas  lines in our club are just PVC like you get in B&Q

Now the keg store is at about 8C and the kegs are changed every 2 days. After about 3 months the gas line fractures!

How do I know? Put a new BIG bottle of 25% nitro on Tuesday. This morning we had dropped 50% of the bottle.

Found the leak and remade the connection

This is the 4th repair in a year!!

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing