• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:26:52 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Keg Cleaning/sanitizing

Started by Covey, November 26, 2012, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Covey

Ok, whats the story here, at the moment i use VWP and just rins, fermenter eqipment etc. and never had a problem why are people using a cleaner and sanitizer. I intend using VWP clean and sanitise for the kegs, but would love some advice.
Thanks
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did

Paul

vwp is a cleaner and steriliser so it is fine to use alone.    It needs to be rinsed.  Some people prefer using a no-rinse sanitiser like Starsan.   I've done both methods.  Never had a problem with either.  By the time your beer is going in to kegs, it's a lot less likely to get infected.

Ciderhead

November 26, 2012, 11:58:40 PM #2 Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:23:10 AM by Ciderhead
QuoteOk, whats the story here, at the moment i use VWP and just rins, fermenter eqipment etc. and never had a problem why are people using a cleaner and sanitizer. I intend using VWP clean and sanitise for the kegs, but would love some advice.
Thanks
Most use a cleaner to get rid of real crud like Oxi, or VWP or Lidl cleaners mentioned in previous posts. Oxi claims to be no rinse, I always rinse and also sanitise with Star San, why? to be sure to be sure! A good spray around bubbler and rubber washer also after i have cleaned and rinsed them, in fact any points where nasties can hide!
On the kegs I have a keg cleaner on a drill to get rid of real crap in bottom and a bit of Oxi in warm water, the the whole lot gets a starsan solution including the posts, poppets and tubes.
You'll know why we do it when you get your first infection :(