• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Simple extract Irish stout

Started by Drzava, February 02, 2016, 01:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drzava

Hoping to stick on my first extract stout this weekend. I've read various recipes and this is what I think I'll go with:

Speciality grains:
450g roasted barley.
100g chocolate malt.
150g Crystal 30EBC.
150g Carapils.
Crushed and steeped ~24 hours in unheated tap water.

Steeping liquid boiled for ~15 minutes, along with 20g EKG.

Transferred to FV, along with 2 x 1.5kg tins of liquid malt extract. Diluted to an OG of 1.040 - 1.045, about 22L in total, 19 - 20C.
Isomerized hop extract added to ~40IBU.
Reserved Nottingham yeast trub (~200ml) from previous IPA brew added.

Aim is to get a decent Irish stout - anywhere from Guinness to Leann Follain via Beamish or Murphy's, with a good roast flavour, is fine by me. Has anyone any comment / suggestions etc?

SlugTrap

Never tried an overnight steep - do you get the same yield of proteins, complex carbs, et al for body, head retention and all the rest as you would from the usual 45 mins at 65C?

Drzava

Quote from: SlugTrap on February 09, 2016, 03:49:02 PM
Never tried an overnight steep - do you get the same yield of proteins, complex carbs, et al for body, head retention and all the rest as you would from the usual 45 mins at 65C?
Simple answer is I don't know, but had seen it mentioned here a few times as an alternative to the 45 minute 'warm' steep and I chose the lazy option! Of course, 10 minutes after steeping my grains I came across material stating that cold steeping roasted grains doesn't work as well as normal in that (i) it extracts less flavour generally and (ii) it extracts less colour, which can be remedied by steeping ~twice as much roasted barley etc. I took a sample the other day and it *seems* to be more dark brown than black, without a big roasted flavour - however, that was after only two days in the bucket so pretty hard to call yet! I suspect this will become a porter! At this early stage, I would recommend doing a normal steep as opposed to overnight - for dark grains anyway; I haven't heard of any issues with carapils, crystal, etc. I got a stockpot for cheap in Aldi the other day, so am now planning a partial mash stout.

googoomuck

I've done overnight steeps with good success, made a hobgoblin clone from coopers recipe page and added some chocolate malt to a stout. Both turned out great.

Drzava

I was worried about this brew as it was very twangy out of the FV, as was a taster I tried after only a week in the bottle (I know, I know!). I think the twang may be due to using cheap LME (from HBC, but I suspect HBW's is the same stuff) - back to Craft Range LME (rebranded Muntons Cederex I reckon) after this I think. It's still only two and a half weeks in the bottle but has come on leaps and bounds! It's a little light bodied, but that may be because of the cold steeping. Taste is a big bang of coffee with some chocolate - I'm calling this a Coffee Porter! Only a small white head that doesn't really last, but a few more weeks will hopefully sort that out. Given I was worried about the outcome, I'm very pleased with this. Stepping it up again soon - planning on a partial mash stout in next few weeks.