• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:07:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NHC BJCP course 2016

Started by Partridge9, March 09, 2016, 10:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partridge9

Excellent, so it looks like we have enough to proceed

I'll get get onto the volunteers and come back with dates

Great stuff !

Simon_

1. Partridge9
2. pob (help out on a few days)
3. Frequent Sequence
4. passaia
5. Molc (can help out where needed)
6. JamesDavin
7. Helmet
8. neoanto
9. danger_zone
10. IrishBeersnob
11. Will_D (unless I score "Grand Vizzier Rank" in last years exam!)
12. GlasBrewInc
13. Tommy
14. oreils87
15. Fergal
16. BrewCity
17. Andrew- very happy to carry on doing the off-flavours and sensory sessions if you want me...
18. 5minfinney
19. Samael
20. Simon

Hingo

1. Partridge9
2. pob (help out on a few days)
3. Frequent Sequence
4. passaia
5. Molc (can help out where needed)
6. JamesDavin
7. Helmet
8. neoanto
9. danger_zone
10. IrishBeersnob
11. Will_D (unless I score "Grand Vizzier Rank" in last years exam!)
12. GlasBrewInc
13. Tommy
14. oreils87
15. Fergal
16. BrewCity
17. Andrew- very happy to carry on doing the off-flavours and sensory sessions if you want me...
18. 5minfinney
19. Samael
20. Simon
21. Hingo

BrewCity

Would definitely be interested in live streaming. Even if we all gathered in one spot in Cork and streamed with Dublin, it would be a huge burden lifted having to travel up and down every time.

mr hoppy

leahyed

Quote from: BrewCity on April 06, 2016, 06:46:07 PM
Would definitely be interested in live streaming. Even if we all gathered in one spot in Cork and streamed with Dublin, it would be a huge burden lifted having to travel up and down every time.

I would also be interested in live streaming to Cork. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Drum

+2

I Like the streaming idea aswell. the only major problem would be the off flavour kit session, otherwise people could follow along at home if they need to

Andrew

I did punt the idea of live streaming to the organisers  ;)

As for the sensory sessions (not "off-flavours"). If there were enough people in each area, I could arrange kits. Otherwise, I can hack together a do-it-yourself guide (hot water on cardboard for oxidisation; sniff a granny smith apple for acetaldehyde; drink a Coors Light for diacetyl...)
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Partridge9

The cork thing could work, if you got 3 or 4 together. 
We could arrange for the same classes to run in Cork and dublin. We could supply the sheets and beer list, just need an organiser that end to pick up the relavent beer

Then just pop up for the mock exam and the real exam in November

It would be pretty cool.

BigDanny84

I would be interested in participating in Cork too.

Leann ull

Streaming would be something else needs a local person on the ground to do "the sub organising"

Quote from: Andrew on April 07, 2016, 09:00:07 AM
sniff a granny for acetaldehyde

what is it you get up to in these sensory sessions?

David

Well my granny Smith has just volunteered.

johnrm

I will help out with the Cork leg as much as possible if someone wants to run point.

LASERBOY147

Hi. I live in Tullamore I'd love to do the sensory part and would be interested to know more on how I could do it in Tullamore with the midlands brewers( possibly via live streaming or video download? ) anyway I doubt I'll ever be able to head to Dublin for 6-8 Saturdays (that wouldn't fly) but the sensory thing is something every beer club should be doing imo. Thanks for any advice and good luck with the course.

Andrew

Quote from: LASERBOY147 on April 08, 2016, 08:36:01 AM
Hi. I live in Tullamore I'd love to do the sensory part and would be interested to know more on how I could do it in Tullamore with the midlands brewers( possibly via live streaming or video download? ) anyway I doubt I'll ever be able to head to Dublin for 6-8 Saturdays (that wouldn't fly) but the sensory thing is something every beer club should be doing imo. Thanks for any advice and good luck with the course.
Just get yourself a kit. Siebel are the best but are the most expensive. FlavorActiv and Aroxa are good. Try either of the following:
http://www.flavoractiv.com/drinks/beers/enthusiast-kit/
http://www.aroxa.com/beer/beer-flavour-standard-kit/beer-uno-kit

Note: If you are BJCP certified, you are entitled to discounted Siebel kit from them.
Andrew
@beoirfinder