• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:34:16 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

IBD exams in may

Started by Frequent Sequence, April 13, 2016, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frequent Sequence

Anyone else doing the upcoming exams in may or the refresher course this week?

fobster

Not this time around, good luck for it!

johnrm

Best of luck FS.
Where is there a calendar of exam dates?

Enno

Looking to do the exam in November. Before i fork out the cash, does anyone know if the exam content is available online to study, or do I have to pay for that as well? The website isn't laid out very well to access this information easily.

Sorcerers Apprentice

I'd send Natalie an email if you have concerns
https://www.ibd.org.uk/about-us/meet-the-staff/115/natalie-michel-training-beer-academy-administrator/
Have a look at this site,
http://72.41.37.66/gcbquizes/gcb1.html
the questions for the general certificate can be quite ambiguous with several right answers, just some answers are more correct than others. I'm not sure if they supply past papers or typical questions to practice on, it may seem a bit bizarre but some people find the diploma easier, as there are past papers and examiners comments available
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Frequent Sequence

There are official notes given a few months prior to the exams.
Or you could do the prep course through taste4sucsess which give you the unofficial notes plus they may pay for the exam.
You don't get any past papers directly from ibd but the taste4sucsess does have mocks.

I have done 6 mocks under exam conditions (in class) and scrored consistantly over 90% in all. It'll be interesting to see if my official score lines up with the mocks.

Enno

Quote from: Frequent Sequence on April 28, 2016, 09:46:11 PM
I have done 6 mocks under exam conditions (in class) and scrored consistantly over 90% in all. It'll be interesting to see if my official score lines up with the mocks.

I'll be interested to see how they match up. Please let me know how the exam compared to the mocks and also, how you're results compared to the mocks. Best of luck tomorrow.

Frequent Sequence

Thanks Enno :)
I'll post how I think it went tomorrow.
The strange thing is that even though it's a digital multiple choice we don't get the results until july. I would have thought that like the driver theory they could give the score instantly.

Frequent Sequence

Right well that went well. I think...

The questions were harder than the mocks. They were more technical and the choices were very tricky and similar as to catch you out.
I do feel like I passed. I would guess I got 80 to 90 percent of the questions right with the rest being guesses.
However because of the nature of the answers and the wording of questions I may have gotten some wrong that I thought I knew.

Any ways i just got an email saying I'll get my results in a couple of weeks. I'll post them here for better or worse.

Right I'm off for pints.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Best of luck!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Enno

I dont suppose you could PM me any notes you have for the exam Frequent Sequence? Gonna start looking through the mocks exams and papers online for this exam.

Frequent Sequence

I think you would be better served reading the syllabus which has a very good break down of the topics covered.
the reason I say that is if you decide to take the exam they send you the notes which are the most up to date.
my notes may not be accurate.

I found these study cards online https://www.studyblue.com/#flashcard/view/14716246

fobster

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on April 28, 2016, 08:36:48 PM
Have a look at this site,
http://72.41.37.66/gcbquizes/gcb1.html
the questions for the general certificate can be quite ambiguous with several right answers, just some answers are more correct than others. I'm not sure if they supply past papers or typical questions to practice on, it may seem a bit bizarre but some people find the diploma easier, as there are past papers and examiners comments available

Always the sleuth, I found that replacing the gcb1 with gcb2, 3 etc gives you other section tests, goes up all the way to gcb20 ^-^

Frequent Sequence

Well I got my results. I was pretty much spot on with my estimated score.   ;D

For anyone thinking of doing the exams I would say the real exam is about 15% harder than the mocks. There is a lot of luck involved because you can be asked from apool of 900 questions so you could get lucky but i wouldn't count on it.