• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:34:26 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

IBD exams in may

Started by Frequent Sequence, April 13, 2016, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garciaBernal

Quote from: ac13 on September 06, 2016, 04:17:46 PM
Anyone else registered for the 8th Nov exam? How are you finding the material?

I'm quite happy with the first 10 chapters but a little less so with the second half. Just started printing out the study cards for myself and constantly reading back over the more technical engineering side of things. I'd like to have an alternative question bank to what is provided in the study blue link though.
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

ac13

Glad to hear others are finding the same. The last few chapters really bogged me down. I haven't had a look at the flash cards yet.

Will

September 17, 2016, 01:24:35 PM #32 Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:39:49 PM by Will
Quote from: garciaBernal on September 06, 2016, 04:29:25 PM
Quote from: ac13 on September 06, 2016, 04:17:46 PM
Anyone else registered for the 8th Nov exam? How are you finding the material?

I'm quite happy with the first 10 chapters but a little less so with the second half. Just started printing out the study cards for myself and constantly reading back over the more technical engineering side of things. I'd like to have an alternative question bank to what is provided in the study blue link though.

There is a lot of info in the notes but the sample questions do not seem to go into crazy detail so I'm hoping not to get too bogged down.

fobster

Quote from: Will on September 17, 2016, 01:24:35 PM
There is a lot of info in the notes but the sample questions do not seem to go into crazy detail so I'm hoping not to get too bogged down.

Are you talking about the nine questions they give you on the IBD site? It's not much to go on...

But a lot of it boils down to reading the question carefully. 2 hours is plenty of time. The notes tell you the number of questions per chapter etc.

I'll just leave this... HERE
The address holds for 02, 03, 04 etc

ac13

Quote from: fobster on September 18, 2016, 11:21:12 PM

Are you talking about the nine questions they give you on the IBD site? It's not much to go on...

But a lot of it boils down to reading the question carefully. 2 hours is plenty of time. The notes tell you the number of questions per chapter etc.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how relevant/accurate these are to the actual exam questions ? Been using them a good bit recently but don't want to rely on them too much in case they're not representative ...

Will

Quote from: ac13 on October 12, 2016, 12:08:02 PM
Quote from: fobster on September 18, 2016, 11:21:12 PM

Out of curiosity does anyone know how relevant/accurate these are to the actual exam questions ? Been using them a good bit recently but don't want to rely on them too much in case they're not representative ...

Same here. I'd be keen to know if they are reflective of the final exam? I'm finding the material quite tough to cover - it goes into a lot of technical detail and the multi-choice answers are extremely similar to one another.

fobster

I'm taking the exam in November as well so I can't comment on their similarity to the real thing though rest assured it's a damn sight better for revision than the sample questions the IBD give you!

fobster

Squeaky bum time! Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Leann ull

Padraic

Those questions seem similar to the ones back when I did the exam!

Best of luck! Enjoy a pint afterwards!

garciaBernal

The results are in and the IBD General Breing Cert has been passed! Delighted. How did the rest of ye do?
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

ac13

Congrats garciaBernal - Passed here as well with credit grade. Delighted.

Feedback for anyone doing the exam in future -

The questions in this link that was previously posted are pretty accurate for study but the format of the questions can be different.

There were several multi answer questions (Choose 2 corrrect from 4, choose 3 correct from 5) and some identify the parts of a diagram questions (yeast cell scructure came up for me).

Ensure to read the questions correctly as some of them I answered incorrectly until I read back over them again ("which one of these is NOT a ...").

Make sure you know your formulas - hop utilisation & IBU's, dilution ratios, etc.

Thinking of booking onto the Diploma course in July now ...

Leann ull

Well done to you both, those questions don't look too difficult but the answers are well designed to trip you so not easy at all.

fobster

Congrats folks! Got a credit grade myself. Chuffed!