• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:42:39 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kegerator setup help (Desparate)

Started by Covey, November 19, 2012, 11:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Covey

Hi lads,
ive just got my kegs and have a tap and another on the way, ive no Co2 at the mo, looking to get a fire extinguisher with the dip tube taken out. here are my questions
1. Will it cause problems getting it fill if you go to a refilling cause the tube is out.
2. If you go in to get a refill will they refill your cylinder or just exchange it for a filled one.
3. What bar pressure can the braided tubing take if your want to force carb at about 30psi
4. Would anyone know any where in connaught where i could buy one
5. How many kegs would you expect to get out of a 2kg cylinder,

Any help would be great really need it up and running for Christmas i know the brew brethren will be helpful as they have always been.
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did

Rossa

1. Will it cause problems getting it fill if you go to a refilling cause the tube is out. no

2. If you go in to get a refill will they refill your cylinder or just exchange it for a filled one. refill usually

3. What bar pressure can the braided tubing take if your want to force carb at about 30psi. should not need to have it that high..how soon do you need the beer? chill and gas and roll will be quicker.

4. Would anyone know any where in connaught where i could buy one . no, but a fire extinguisher place do them.

5. How many kegs would you expect to get out of a 2kg cylinder couldn't say but easily 5 from what I can remember from when I had a 2. maybe go for a 5kg as they are easier to cone by.

Rossa

Covey

Thanks for that putting my mind at easy, what psi do you carb at i've been reading that you can go for slow (up to a week) for fast (Rolling at high psi) 2-3 days.

Paul

QuoteThanks for that putting my mind at easy, what psi do you carb at i've been reading that you can go for slow (up to a week) for fast (Rolling at high psi) 2-3 days.

I usually flush the air from the keg, chill it for a couple of hours,  jack the regulator up to 40psi and shake the keg for a few minutes.  With flow control taps, it's easy to control foam.  It's not text book but works for me.  It's very hard to get a perfect gas seal on the keg post so don't be surprised if you lose all your gas in a week if you leave the gas bottle permanently on.  I usually give it a blast when serving and then turn off the bottle.  I've force carbed and served > 10 kegs with a 2kg bottle.

Covey

Hi Paul, are you using the plastic braided tubing. What pressure do the release valve on the kegs generally go at

Paul

QuoteHi Paul, are you using the plastic braided tubing. What pressure do the release valve on the kegs generally go at

I'm using plastic gas tubing. It's not braided.  My kegs say max pressure 120psi on them so I'm guessing the pressure release valve will blow above that. 

Rossa

I am usually in no hurry so I pop the keg in the fridge at about 12psi & leave it for a week or two at that. It gives the beer time to mature too. I usually serve it around that pressure too.

DEMPSEY

Having carbed up your keg to a desired amount. I would not leave the co2 connected over the period you are not serving the beer as it will continue to absorb co2. That's why draught beer is served using mixed gas because the nitrogen is hard to absorb and you can use higher pressure with this mixed gas to push the beer from house basement all the way to your upstairs beer and nookey pad.
p.s. that last part should only be read by those over 18. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

brenmurph

Doyle & Doyle up in tallaght will sell u a 5 or 6 kilo fire extingusher FULL for 60 euros and its 20 euros for a refiill of your cylinder, which they will do on the spot for you any day 9am-5pm

I get about 25-30 x 5 gall batches from 6k cylinder and that includes gas used for cleaning lines, purging and so on.

Paul

QuoteHaving carbed up your keg to a desired amount. I would not leave the co2 connected over the period you are not serving the beer as it will continue to absorb co2.

It'll only absorb more if the regulator is set to a higher psi than what the beer is carbed to.  e.g. if you set the regulator to 12 psi, the beer will stop absorbing co2 at 12 psi, assuming the temperature remains constant.

Will_D

November 20, 2012, 09:44:07 PM #11 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:44:56 PM by Will_D
QuoteHaving carbed up your keg to a desired amount. I would not leave the co2 connected over the period you are not serving the beer as it will continue to absorb co2.

It'll only absorb more if the regulator is set to a higher psi than what the beer is carbed to.  e.g. if you set the regulator to 12 psi, the beer will stop absorbing co2 at 12 psi, assuming the temperature remains constant.

Not technically true: CO2 solubilty is the major factor.

However the CO2 when disolves in water it makes a weak acid solution. This then esterifies with the alcohol to produce a carbonic / ethanol ester. This is a reversible reaction so this is why champagne release bubbles of CO2 for such a long time

Maybe!!

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

Will D is our resident science dude :).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Covey

Update!, Must have been fate, there were guys in serving the extinguisher and the company i work for and i had a chat with them, and fair play to them they are giving be a 2 kg cyclinder with the dip tube removed what a sound bunch of lads- bring on christmas whoo hooo

Padraic

November 26, 2012, 08:49:51 AM #14 Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:51:44 AM by Padraic
I got rid of some spam from here. Just in case anyone spotted it and thinks they are going crazy!