• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:33:25 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wort chiller

Started by 2401keith, July 06, 2016, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2401keith

I'm planning on making my own wort chiller easy!! I'm thinking 1/2 soft copper but how long would the average chiller be4 coiled

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

nigel_c

1/2 is very thick. Better with a thinner longer coil with a bigger surface area. Better cooling.

2401keith

Ok how about 8mm I can get my hands on 25m

nigel_c

That'll do. That'll do.

Drum

Just did some very rough calcs and my chiller would be about 12M if straightened out. It just about does the job in a peco boiler but I would get a bigger one with more coils if I was upgrading.  25 M sounds like you could make a pretty decent sized chiller.

2401keith

Is it 8 or 10 mm copper u use?

Shanna

Would suggest you make two * twelve meter chillers one that would be coiled to fit inside the other. You would feed them independently & drain them out via two outflows. You will get better chilling because you have two cold water inputs rather than one that will be warm by the time it gets half way through a 25 metre coil. Pay attention to the diameter of your coil if you have an element in your boiler to make sure it will pass all the way to the bottom.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

2401keith

Ok!! Iv got my work cut out for me I'm only getting all bits together was thinking of getting a keg!I'll prob do BIAB iv got a gas ring so want to make use of that

2401keith

Thanks for the reply's great place  to come  for people starting out!!

darren996

+1 on Shannas suggestion
There are some nice builds on YouTube just search for ''  double coil wort chiller'' and good luck with it

Leann ull

10mm x10m and you will need to borrow springs or pipe bender for loops at the top
HBS are nearly as cheap I think now?
Longer temp consider recirc with a pump it will have a big impact on your cooling efficiency.

Shanna

Quote from: CH on July 07, 2016, 12:58:24 PM
10mm x10m and you will need to borrow springs or pipe bender for loops at the top
HBS are nearly as cheap I think now?
Longer temp consider recirc with a pump it will have a big impact on your cooling efficiency.
To add on to this invoice suggest you get two pumps. One is a garden pond type pump that you could submerge in a barrel of water such as a water butt. This would provide your cooking water that would be.pumped in through the coils. Of you have to pay water charges consider capturing the water again & use it for washing a car or watering plants (after it has cooled. Use a good grade pump to pump the hot wort out of the.boiler in through the top of the boiler via a length of silicon hose & a copper pipe. The pipe should reach all.the way to the bottom of the.boiler. This will agitate the wort helping to aerate and also help to ensure that wort gets mixed around & will further cool it by bring it in contact with the air. I have the setup (copied from Rossa) & while it's a biy awkward to setup initially I have the ability to use the water butts for a power washer. Make sure you get a water butt of about 250 litres & you should be good to go.

Consider connecting up the two coils using soldered 90 degree bends rather than trying to make two coils out of the one continuous length. Make sure to buy tin solder for soldering the bends as most regular solder for copper pipes have lead on it. You can buy tin solder for soldering electronics on ebay. I would recommend using a drain pipe for the smaller coil & a wider diameter wavin sewage pipe for the outer. Your local builders supplier might have off cuts of those that you could use.

Alternatively if this seems like hard work.consider buying a plate chiller :) Everyone who has seen my dual chiller has been having horrified by it, but it works for me :)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Leann ull

Those pumps you can pick up in Lidl or Aldi keep an eye out for their garden specials.
Submersible one is best.
I thought most solder was lead free now?

Shanna

Quote from: CH on July 08, 2016, 09:31:35 AM
Those pumps you can pick up in Lidl or Aldi keep an eye out for their garden specials.
Submersible one is best.
I thought most solder was lead free now?
To the best of my knowledge no or at least when I tried to pick some up in the likes of woodies  & local builders/plumbers suppliers they all contained lead. Calling it out as its best to check to be sure.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer