• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 05:51:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Concealed element

Started by Slev, September 20, 2016, 02:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slev

Is it possible to fit an element to the underside of a flat bottomed vessel?  To make something like the bulldog brewer type arrangement?
What kind of element/cement would be needed?

DEMPSEY

I fitted a 3kw element to a keg once by first using a sledge hammer to reverse the concave to a convex then drilled a hole in the centre and fitted the element.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Slev

So your element was standing up in the centre of the vessel. Novel idea. Was it successful in use?

I was wondering if there is a way of fitting an element to the underside,  so that it isn't in direct contact with the liquid, and you'd have a smooth interior,  as per the bulldog arrangement. 

SkiBeagle

This is what you want:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burco-Cygnet-Heating-Element-082620570/dp/B0056Y4MZY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474395901&sr=8-6&keywords=burco+element

Superglue that onto the bottom of your pot, and the job is oxo!  8)

It's 150mm diameter, so this would most likely suit a tall narrow pot like the Bulldogs, or perhaps you could use an aluminium disc to spread out the heat onto the bottom of a wider pot.

Slev

September 20, 2016, 08:22:33 PM #4 Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:50:32 PM by Slev
Thanks ski.  That looks like something that would work....  Could be more than the alcohol causing a change in the mind,  if cooking with glue.  Tricky to decide what to enter it as in a comp >:D
Was just wondering.  Have a 30l ss vessel that I'm using as a fv,  but was idlly wondering if I could add a heating element,  without drilling,  thus keeping options open. 

And wondering how one would go about making something like the bulldog....  Ah if I only just.....

SkiBeagle

Something like this might work out better in the long run:

http://www.nisbets.ie/Buffalo-Manual-Fill-Water-Boiler-30Ltr/GL348/ProductDetail.raction?cm_sp=PeeriusFeaturedProducts-_-productRecsTop-_-GL348

For not too much more, you get the whole shebang ready to go. Maybe upgrade the tap. For boiling say 25L, this looks pretty good. Some good reports about the Buffalo on jimsbeerkit.co.uk I have a 30L Burco Cygnet and it's very well made, and has an adjustable stat (not on-off like some) and a 2500W concealed element. I use it for heating sparge water, but also it's a kind of fallback if the Bulldog ever gets rabies. You could just pour wort into it and start boiling without any fuss.

Slev