• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 11:15:08 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cask Guinness

Started by admin, November 20, 2012, 12:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

...if it was available would you drink it?

Are Guinness missing a gig?

DEMPSEY

Diageo only do things LARGE scale,if it was available,I would deffo try it,but it will (never) happen. :).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Kaymak (kev2403)

I'd give it a go alright but im assuming the powers that be in Guinness wouldnt authorise such a pure use of their beer  :)

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

They should totally do it. It could be a way of rewarding elite pubs that could be trusted to serve it properly. They should make it an exclusive, only in Dublin 'the home of Guinness' sort of thing.
IBD member

CARA

I've often day dreamed of cask Guinness, there's a great picture in The Celt of the way the way the bar used to look, 5 engines with alot of happy men. I've a recipe for Guinness Foreign, might try and have a go at it and cask it up!
Upa Sesh

irish_goat

If it tasted anything like Guinness Extra Stout it wouldn't be the worst although I imagine you would get similar reactions from regular Guinness drinkers e.g. "How can you drink that muck?"

I wonder do Guinness even have casks left, I'd imagine they've probably sold them all/scrapped them.

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

QuoteDublin-only would be a disaster! It'd have to be all-Ireland, or why not even GB? Guinness doesn't have a good rep (or any rep) among real ale drinkers in the UK. They could change that.

Maybe. If they did put it in casks they'd probably try it in a only a few places first. The thing about casks is the brewer is really trusting the publican to keep the beer in good condition. Since in Ireland anyway most publicans aren't used to keeping casks they'd have to restrict it to pubs they can trust. It's different in the UK of course. But making it Dublin only would also give people another reason to visit Dublin. It would fit in with the gathering.
IBD member

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

I suppose one argument against casks is that it would indirectly lend credibility to cask ale in general which gives the micros a bit of a step up. There's no reason for Guinness to make it any easier for potential competitors.
IBD member