• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:33:30 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Grainfather Connect

Started by Will_D, November 15, 2016, 10:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braich

You can still use the controller without the app, but it's obviously better with the app. Mine arrived yesterday and had a play with the app on the frypad. It connects and responds to the app really quickly - looking forward to using it for a brew.  :)

Will_D

So, its nearly Christmas, any word as to when we get the Android App?

It would be nice to be offered a beta test version even!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

mcooney

I got my new Grainfather last week with the new controller and did a brew Wednesday evening with the IOS app.
I haven't used the old controller but I thought the new one was great. I set the delayed timer to heat the water to mash temp so when I got in from work I was able to dough in straight away. I just started the recipe I imported from Beersmith and it went through the mash and mash out without any further input, it also sent a notification to put on the sparge water. I was able to do other things like make dinner and get kids ready for bed..
It automatically started brining the temperature up to boil while sparging. It sent notifications of when to add hops and whirlfloc.
Its nice to able able to watch the temperature while it gets up to the boil on your phone so you don't have to stand over it.
All in all it took 3 hours off my normal brew day and ended up with really clear wort. Overshot my gravity so I'll have to adjust for the improved efficiency. The new Grainfather recipe website allows you to download .xml files now also.
An improvement would be wifi rather than Bluetooth but that might add to the cost.

Nothing to do with the controller but one tip I picked up on-line for cleaning was to connect the recirculation arm to the chiller when cleaning, that saves a bit of time

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

mcooney

40 mins time to heat mash water on my old system. (The delayed timer is great)
Time to get my old urn to boil.
An hour messing around boiling kettles , filling fermenters for batch sparging. I'm using my old urn for sparge water now.
Cooling with old immersion chiller used to take an age.
Cleaning.

Used to never get done in less than 8 hours before

Andrew

Quote from: Will_D on December 09, 2016, 10:10:05 PM
So, its nearly Christmas, any word as to when we get the Android App?

It would be nice to be offered a beta test version even!
It's nearly there- still a few issues to iron out- mainly to do with the app going into the background during the session. And the old GF app needs the ability to export recipes so the GF Connect can use them.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Pheeel

Quote from: mcooney on December 12, 2016, 09:30:42 AM

40 mins time to heat mash water on my old system. (The delayed timer is great)
Time to get my old urn to boil.
An hour messing around boiling kettles , filling fermenters for batch sparging. I'm using my old urn for sparge water now.
Cooling with old immersion chiller used to take an age.
Cleaning.

Used to never get done in less than 8 hours before

Oh okay. So you're saying that generally the GF helped, not specifically the new controller (except for the delayed timer!)

mcooney

Yeah sorry, it was my first time using both. The connect saves you time with the delayed heating.
It also means you can do more while brewing as so much is automated.

Pheeel

It only made a difference for me with step mashing. For doing an ale I'm not sure the new controller would help me too much!

Will_D

At least it won't winge when you hit 99C +a biteen

Simon_

Quote from: Pheeel on December 12, 2016, 03:50:25 PM
It only made a difference for me with step mashing. For doing an ale I'm not sure the new controller would help me too much!

Doesn't it have automatic start? really useful feature

Pheeel

It would be if I actually brewed in my shed like my missus wants me to instead of doing it in the Kitchen where I prefer doing it :)

Andrew

Quote from: Simon_ on December 14, 2016, 12:54:18 PM
Quote from: Pheeel on December 12, 2016, 03:50:25 PM

Doesn't it have automatic start? really useful feature
It does- last brew day I set it up the night before and the water was at strike temp when I arrived the next day.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Will_D

The new Android Ap is available from the playstore. Search grainfather connect.

Happy Christmas GF!

Now who's cooking our dinner tomorrow as we have the new Ap to play/brew with!!

fishjam45 (Colin)

Did my first brew using the new controller the other day, an aptly named (P)elvis Juice ....

I'm impressed with it, its great to be able to keep an eye on your brew from the house with the GF out in the brewshed.
If only it worked over WIFI ....

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/