• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 11:09:22 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Temp Control For Fermentation

Started by rukkus, December 12, 2012, 08:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rukkus

I'm not doing anything to control temps during fermentation at the moment but i should be. What methods are you using?

Ciderhead

December 12, 2012, 08:51:56 PM #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:54:13 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteI'm not doing anything to control temps during fermentation at the moment but i should be. What methods are you using?

Fermenting Fridge with 60W bar heater and stc-1000 is empty if anybody wants to rent the space ;)
I'm sure I will fill it over hols.

Spud395

Very similar, old (free) chest freezer with a brewbelt and a STC800+.

ATC's are cheaper and from all reports are every bit as good
Non modo......sed etiam

rukkus

I have a stc-1000 sitting here doing nothing at the moment ;)

I dont think i'd get another fridge or freezer into the house though.

I might be able to hide a small insulated box in with the fermenters though ;)

I have some peltiers (TECs) i should be able to use to pump out heat.

I've been thinking of actually connecting one to an insulated corny but i havent figured out a way of connecting the curved surface of the keg to the flat peltier yet. I might start with a box though as i dont want to risk a keg.

Any ideas on an insulated box that would fit a fermenter?

Spud395

Non modo......sed etiam

rukkus

Will do :) now to find a box large enough...

Shanna

Hi Dave,

Get yourself down to a builder supplier and get an 8 ft by 4 ft sheet of plywood. They should be able to cut it for you. You could use this to create a box to hang the insulation on. Buy a simple hammer and a bag of short tacks with s few right angled joints. Then you can glue the indula tion to the walls of the box.

Declan

QuoteWill do :) now to find a box large enough...
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

JimmyM

December 13, 2012, 03:35:04 PM #7 Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:37:20 PM by JamesM
QuoteWill do :) now to find a box large enough...

We already know your woodworking skills arent up to building one :P

The pic i put in your thread about the guinnes tap handle - thats an insulated box i built its basically 2 layers of hardboard with styrofoam insulation in between.

The red and black wires you see hanging out are from a computer fan used to blow cold air at the bottom around the inside where the kegs are.
The cold air comes from a few ice block i stick at the bottom.
Definitely cools the kegs a bit my fan could prob do with more umph though.
Formerly JamesM.

rukkus

I was thinking of something similar james but using a peltier, heat sink and fan to cool it.

Yea i guess i'll have to find a pre made box or get someone to build me one :/ automation wont be a problem though ;)

Beerdoh

QuoteI was thinking of something similar james but using a peltier, heat sink and fan to cool it.

Yea i guess i'll have to find a pre made box or get someone to build me one :/ automation wont be a problem though ;)

Really interested in the Peltier / TEC idea, as i don't have the space for a fridge - but if i was to build an insulated box with brew pad or belt and a peltier that would be good.
Do you have any details on what you use? Control? Heatsinking on the warm side etc? Can they be controlled with STC1000??

Pictures, if you have them would be awesome!

Sean
To brew: Bohemian Lager, Munich Dunkel, Oatmeal / Milk Stout, Hefeweizen
Fermenting: Imperial IPA
Conditioning:
Serving:Munich Helles (Helles Bells), Oatmeal Stout

JimmyM

Yeah a peltier would be the way to go alright - my solution is somewhat stoneage.
Beerdoh - if you used a peltier - you could actually set it up to do both the cooling and the heating - so no need for brew pads or belts.

Rukkus - Dempsey will build you an insulated box if you automate his brewing equipment for you :)
Formerly JamesM.