• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:13:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brown Beer Bottles.

Started by Greg2013, January 15, 2013, 07:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Ha ha i got in here first nah nah nah ::)

Anyway if any kind soul out there has any brown glass beer bottles they are looking to get rid of give me a pm. Think of type that Tiger Beer comes in, the more heavy duty the better and if any swingtops are floating around i will take them as well. Also any glass demijohns or carboys i will look at as well. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

QuoteAlso any glass demijohns or carboys i will look at as well. ;D

You have balls the size of coconuts, I was wondering where to dump my €200 worth of carboys ;)

Greg2013

Hey thats given me an idea "coconut beer" :o ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Padraic

QuoteHey thats given me an idea "coconut beer" :o ;D

Coconut beer is great!

Coconut porter/stout has a special place in my heart!

I've had two different commercial examples Maui Brewing and Arbor both were lovely, but not a patch on my two homebrewed batches!

Greg2013

Ciderhead

QuoteHey thats given me an idea "coconut beer" :o ;D

Will you be putting your balls is secondary or just boiling them [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Greg2013

Still waiting to get them back after being married ciderhead ;D

Ciderhead

She has mine in a jar on the mantelpiece :o

Greg2013

Still waiting on the lawyers to get mine back for me ciderhead :o ;D

MAF

Have you tried Merrys, Downeys, Lady Belle, Moorings, Local or anywhere else that sells Dungarvan beers? They are non-returnable so the pubs actually have to pay to get rid of them. I got some from O'Briens Chophouse in Lismore before, but unfortunately they're gone now.

Metattron

Hey Padraic, what way did you do your coconut beer? I'm started one at the weekend and am going to toast the coconut and add it to secondary. Any chance of a peek at your recipe? Off topic I know but the beer is always more important than the bottles!  ;)
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Padraic

Any auld stout recipe will do the trick, I've brewed it twice, once with 250g and the second time with 500g.

The trade off was 250g, not much coconut taste.
500g, no head retention!

I'd say avoid american stout recipes but other than that coconut should work with any stout recipe.

Padraic

Sorry I meant to say that the coconut I used was flaked and I didn't bother roasting but I hear that is better for head retention!

And the recipe:
QuotePort-o-nut

Grains
350g Black
650g Munich 2
4000g MO
500g Flaked Coconut

Mash @67C

40g Fuggles 60mins
15g Fuggles 15 mins
1 Tbsp Irish Moss 15 mins

London Ale yeast (WLP013)

The grain bill was chosen because I had a heap of Munich, much more appropriate to use crystal. Likewise the yeast was what I had, nottingham would do the trick nicely as well.