• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 03, 2024, 07:29:53 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Club Cup 2017

Started by irish_goat, February 16, 2017, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Apologies for not getting these up sooner.

All clubs should nominate 5 beers before judging Saturday. Please do this via PM/email to myself.
Clubs may nominate multiple beers from 1 brewer.
Scores from each beer will be tallied and the club with the highest combined score will be the winner.
In the unlikely event of a tie, medal tallies will be referred to.

The Club Cup will be awarded at the medal ceremony at Alfie Byrne's. 

Leann ull

February 16, 2017, 04:01:47 PM #1 Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:24:23 PM by CH
Does it not make more sense just to use scores from best 5 medals won by each club? as otherwise my beer is better than your beer lark starts and impossible for clubs like capital to pick 5 from 50 but easy for GCB where clearly all my beers should be nominated :D

If you nominate and sods law comes into play as it usually does in judging and actual best beers don't win that were chosen at club meets that could be tricky.
In addition I don't believe any clubs have pre-judged their beers to rank or nominate?

I'm also still of the opinion that a weighted average should be used so if Capital enter 50 and NCB 10 but they both get the same number of medals then the standard of brewing is higher in NCB (Its only an example Capital) and they should win the cup. I think you would have to specify a min number of brewers though to avail say 5 or something.

Just some thoughts...

irish_goat

Taking 5 best scores from best medals favours both larger clubs and clubs who do well in the smaller categories though. That's what was discussed at AGM anyway. Yes, it's hard for Capital but being able to pick from 50 beers is still a good position to be in.

Club Cup has been one of those things that we've never nailed down properly though but I think this method is worth a shot.

irish_goat

Quote from: CH on February 16, 2017, 04:01:47 PMI'm also still of the opinion that a weighted average should be used so if Capital enter 50 and NCB 10 but they both get the same number of medals then the standard of brewing is higher in NCB (Its only an example Capital) and they should win the cup. I think you would have to specify a min number of brewers though to avail say 5 or something.

Suggestion against that was that newer members who are less experienced brewers may be encouraged not to declare for their club if they're likely to bring the average though.

molc

Nothing wrong with the idea, but the late notice will make it quite hard to implement for the clubs this year, as the beers really need a taste off to be able to do this.

Not saying I have an alternative, outside of CH's suggestion, which probably makes more sense given the timelines involved. Just something to note for next year so we can improve.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Ciaran

Quote from: CH on February 16, 2017, 04:01:47 PM
In addition I don't believe any clubs have pre-judged their beers to rank or nominate?

This is certainly true for the Belfast entries.

beerfly

probably too late for this year but for the future

you could do it like a medal leader board
Club A 3 gold 1 silver 1 bronze
Club B 3 gold 2 bronze.
Club C 4 silver and a bronze

use the top 5 medal winning brewers from each club. 
each club would have up to 25 medal chances, it will vary depending on people entries (could average this out if needed) but it gives a hard cap and theoretically gives a club with 5 people the same chance as a club with 50 people.

edit: changed max medal chances to 25.

Will_D

The only fair way is to weight the scores by the size of the entries.

Why nominate?

Just evaluate the total club scores and divide by number of entries which you surely would have to do for the "nominated 5"

NCB have not assessed our entries!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Dr Brown Ale

So in capital we should just tell the weaker brewers not to declare for the club then, is that it? That hardly drives an inclusive club, does it?

There is a fantastic atmosphere at the Capital meets, where knowledge is shared from simply amazing brewers to people starting out with kits, extract and what have you. To discourage those people from brewing and entering beers in competitions under the Capital banner is not what the NHC should be about.

It seems to me the "smaller" regional clubs are trying to force a split in the Capital group or something

fishjam45 (Colin)

Maybe a suggestion for next year - have a keyboard warrior cup?  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Leann ull

Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on February 16, 2017, 08:39:21 PM

It seems to me the "smaller" regional clubs are trying to force a split in the Capital group or something

DEMPSEY

Lads try keep it to as best as constructive a commentary. No is trying to harm any club but are trying to make it a fair and positive thing as best we can.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

beerfly

Quote from: Will_D on February 16, 2017, 08:21:15 PM
The only fair way is to weight the scores by the size of the entries.

Why nominate?

Just evaluate the total club scores and divide by number of entries which you surely would have to do for the "nominated 5"

NCB have not assessed our entries!!
I'm against weighting it on the "total" entries cause I have seen it first hand people will put down the nearest club to them even if they have never had interactions with them which would skew result.
Or club reps should have to verify people submitting under their club.

garciaBernal

Were the rules not decided months ago? I was at a Midlands meeting months ago where we were trying to decide who would be the five entrants. Bit late for changing it up now.
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

rebel

what are the final rules best 5 nominated beers from each club.