• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:38:28 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Oxidation Issues

Started by DEMPSEY, March 07, 2017, 10:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Quote from: LordEoin on March 07, 2017, 09:45:15 AM
It might be a good idea to use mechanical pencils in the future. They're cheap as chips and don't get all blurry after a while.

I'm happy with the feedback overall, some solid advice. I won't be bottling off keg next year ;)
I bottled from keg as counterpressure and hit a 40 :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

fishjam45 (Colin)

I'm happy with the feedback overall, some solid advice. I won't be bottling off keg next year ;)

What was the feedback with regards to your bottling from the keg?
It was in the back of my mind about 2 of my entries that I had bottle gunned.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

imark

Two of the 3 I filled off keg had oxidation remarks.

DEMPSEY

Bottle gun loses alot of co2 and also is not best suited to long time storage of that said bottle. Some 02 will still be there to spoil possibly :-\

fishjam45 (Colin)

So bottle conditioning for comps is recommended?
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Simon_

I won't be bottling off keg next year ;)
I did well with a keg filled beer but it is a bit haphazard getting carbonation right.
On the other hand I don't think bottle conditioning works for anything pale or clean (lagers / pale ales). It's alright for anything Belgian or dark or murky.

Bottling is the worst part of this hobby

DEMPSEY

Yes I'd say its better. If you have a good CP then use it if your sure but BC would be more guaranteed,unless....its a Lager maybe. :-\

delzep

Lot of problems with overcarbed beers and ciders this year. This is easy to sort using an online calculator so there's no excuse for it next year

BrewDorg

Also lost points for filling off a keg. No carbonation and poor fill. Down to my process though, I know where I need to improve it.

LordEoin

2 of the 3 i bottled off the keg were commented as oxidized.
pity, they're nice off the keg.
I can CP fill nicely with PET bottles, but my glass bottle filling is a bit... agricultural.
Easily fixed for next year. I just need to decide whether to use my head or my wallet  ;D (or bottle condition)

mick02

Yeah I had two beers that were under carbonated but there were two others that were fine. All filled from the keg. I always try to over carbonate for beer that I'm planning on bottling and it usually works out well.

Bottle conditioned beers taste a bit different in my opinion ... the carbonation is more prickly in the mouth. Maybe it's just me but I prefer force carbonation to bottle conditioning.
NHC Committee member

Qs

Well I know tasty filled his competition beers off the keg so we can ask him for tips at brewcon.

sub82

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 07, 2017, 10:21:59 AM
It might be a good idea to use mechanical pencils in the future. They're cheap as chips and don't get all blurry after a while.

I bottled from keg as counterpressure and hit a 40 :)

What counterpressure filler do you use?

molc

Bottled with a bottling gun on all beers. Some did great, others not so much. In future I think I'll bottle wheat based beers as they foam too much from the gun.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

if everything is bitter cold including beer it works well.
My strategy was over to carb by 20% and have the keg at zero, and bottles in fridge, otherwise I ended just putting beer everywhere as co2 comes out of solution.