• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:26:38 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Oxidation Issues

Started by DEMPSEY, March 07, 2017, 10:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Quote from: sub82
What counterpressure filler do you use?
/quote]
I built my own
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

When counterpressuring you need to gas and vent the bottle at least twice and fill with gas a third time before allowing beer in. You also need the beer higher carbed as you will lose gas in the transfer.

Leann ull

With Co2 so cheap as well, and cap the foam used to be my rule.

Pheeel

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 08, 2017, 10:02:15 AM
When counterpressuring you need to gas and vent the bottle at least twice and fill with gas a third time before allowing beer in. You also need the beer higher carbed as you will lose gas in the transfer.

Why three times?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

BrewDorg

CO2 is cheap, but a trip to Bray during working hours is not :(

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Pheeel on March 08, 2017, 11:16:20 AM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 08, 2017, 10:02:15 AM

Why three times?
Commercial bottlers do it to further remove air, its called double pre-evacuate. When you push co2 in it will drop to the bottom of the bottle and when you burp the bottle not all the air will be pushed out. Commercial systems will also use a vacuum pump to pull the co2 and air out thus creating an airless space for the co2 to enter the bottle. We don't have vacuum so best to apply a 2 or even 3 times before you put in the beer. Also let the gas settle a few moments so it is fully sitting on the bottom before you burp the bottle. What you do in haste you can repent at leisure ;)

mr hoppy

DEMPSEY

Quote from: mr hoppy on March 08, 2017, 01:04:06 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 08, 2017, 11:55:06 AM
when you burp the bottle

How do you burp a bottle?
Ye pick it up gently and hold it against your shoulder with the bottle neck looking over same shoulder and tap tap its body :P

Leann ull

sub82

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 08, 2017, 09:58:17 AM
Quote from: sub82
What counterpressure filler do you use?
/quote]
I built my own

Interesting!

Leann ull

What he doesn't tell you is impressive and all that it is in action, he is like the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain pulling levers to operate it.

Sorcerers Apprentice

One thing to be aware of is the beer/air interface. As the beer passes between your bottling bucket and heads towards your filling device, it is pushing air ahead of it. There is an exchange during this process, whereby the initial beer is oxidised by the air already in the pipework/tubing.
Commercial breweries get around this by charging this pipe work with de-aerated water, and will still dump all the products from the first revolution of the filling machine. In our case this means filling a bottle or two before your serious competition entry, you can always drink the first two yourself rather than dumping them 🍻. But I suspect this is where the oxidation is coming from,as a lot of guys only keg now, and fill maybe only two bottles for the competition.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

irish_goat

Split the oxidation posts out of the main comp thread as I think this is good enough for its own.

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on March 09, 2017, 10:21:09 AMIn our case this means filling a bottle or two before your serious competition entry, you can always drink the first two yourself rather than dumping them 🍻. But I suspect this is where the oxidation is coming from,as a lot of guys only keg now, and fill maybe only two bottles for the competition.

This is what I do, I line up 3 bottles separate from the main batch and fill them half way through. The other bonus is you'll hopefully avoid a load of trub getting in which can happen with bottles near the start or end of the bucket.

LordEoin

That's exactly how I did some of them and they scored high.
You live you learn. That's the whole point of the competition in my eyes  ;D

molc

Yup yup, I was using a bottling gun for the first time and probably made a mess of half of them. Bottling and wheat beers clearing too fast in the bottles screwed 3 of my entries over, so won't be making that mistake again.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter