• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 07:27:35 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First steps

Started by Chymist, June 15, 2017, 06:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chymist

Hey All,

Just became a paid up member recently as I really want to make a go of homebrewing this summer. I have wanted to try for years and have finally decided to pull the trigger.

By way of introduction, I am based in Kildare and as the username suggests I am a chemist and familiar with a number of the techniques involved in brewing. As such, I have decided to go big or go home and want to try all grain brewing. This may not be the place for beginners questions but perhaps just to generate some conversation (and help me to decide what to invest in!) I have two questions regarding equipment.

1) Peco boilers vs Stainless steel? - I am leaning towards stainless steel for longevity and I am also unsure about having to move a plastic bucket containing ~30 L of hot water. My only concern with the stainless steel is efficient heating as I will initially have to start out on a stovetop.

2) Bucket FV's vs Carboys? - On the fence with this one, buckets seem more easily stored and offer better light protection but carboys would allow me to see into the vessel to check on the health of the fermentation and can just be easily covered.

Any advice/comments from more experience brewers would be gladly welcomed and hopefully see you around the forums!

All the best,

Chymist

mick02

Quote from: Chymist on June 15, 2017, 06:30:39 PM
Hey All,

Just became a paid up member recently as I really want to make a go of homebrewing this summer. I have wanted to try for years and have finally decided to pull the trigger.

By way of introduction, I am based in Kildare and as the username suggests I am a chemist and familiar with a number of the techniques involved in brewing. As such, I have decided to go big or go home and want to try all grain brewing. This may not be the place for beginners questions but perhaps just to generate some conversation (and help me to decide what to invest in!) I have two questions regarding equipment.

1) Peco boilers vs Stainless steel? - I am leaning towards stainless steel for longevity and I am also unsure about having to move a plastic bucket containing ~30 L of hot water. My only concern with the stainless steel is efficient heating as I will initially have to start out on a stovetop.

2) Bucket FV's vs Carboys? - On the fence with this one, buckets seem more easily stored and offer better light protection but carboys would allow me to see into the vessel to check on the health of the fermentation and can just be easily covered.

Any advice/comments from more experience brewers would be gladly welcomed and hopefully see you around the forums!

All the best,

Chymist
Hey Chymist,

Where in Kildare are you based? We generally meet in lock 13 in Sallins on the first Friday of the month (although we're breaking for the summer)

Once you get yourself set up and would like to come along to a meet please join us.

We also have a WhatsApp group of you want to pm me your number I'll add you to it.

If you're in north Kildare then Liffey brewers would be your closest club.

Good luck with the brew summer.

Mick
NHC Committee member

Chymist

Hey Mick,

I am based in Celbridge/Maynooth so not too far from Sallins. I would definitely like to head along to a meet up once I am up and running. I have PM'd you my number as well.

All the best,

Chymist

johnrm

@chemist definitely meet up and chat, see what is involved, then decide what equipment is best for you.
Kildare bunch are all A+

Chymist

Great thanks for the advice John!

johnrm

And welcome on board  :-*

imark

Hi Chymist and welcome.
There are a few liffey brewers out in Celbridge. You're very welcome to come along to our monthly meet ups and tastings.
We meet on last Thursday of the month. So the next one will be in the Lucan County Bar on 29th June from 7:30pm.

Chymist

Great thanks Mark, hopefully I will make it along, the work summer party is meant to be that evening as well but may be able to head to Lucan beforehand!