• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 04:14:36 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Not much happening?

Started by belfastjacko, August 03, 2017, 02:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastjacko

Hasn't been much posted here in a while?

Last 3 months I've brewed a Massey Red from get er brewed, bottled in June, had the First sup last night wasn't too bad, if maybe a little too cold.

I brewed West Coast IPA towards the end of June and it went in a keg, unfortunately I left it unattended for 2weeks while I went on holiday...... happened to be the 2 weeks of the heat wave. I had a wee taste last night, not offensive but nothing to write home about.

Today as I type in brewing the "pimped up APA." Again from get er brewed. All three brewed using BIAB.

Bazza

Good man, Jacko! Nice to see someone's keeping busy, unlike the rest of the lazy good-for-nothings in this group  :P

Think it's a case of summer-itis amongst most of us, but we really need to get a meet sorted soon. The Quintessential comp in October won't organise itself :)

Why not bring your brews to the next meet for a proper informed critique.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

belfastjacko

Quote from: Bazza on August 03, 2017, 03:01:49 PM
Good man, Jacko! Nice to see someone's keeping busy, unlike the rest of the lazy good-for-nothings in this group  :P

Think it's a case of summer-itis amongst most of us, but we really need to get a meet sorted soon. The Quintessential comp in October won't organise itself :)

Why not bring your brews to the next meet for a proper informed critique.

Cheers,

-Barry
These 3 are for a specific reason, that reason being a house party at the end of the month, so they won't make it.  Its certainly my intention to start letting the world tell me how far I have to come so the next thing I brew hopefully will make it to a meet.

Out of curiosity, what would you recommend as a good beer for a rookie to hone their skills on? When I first started out I heard stout was the easiest, but I'm not really a fan so I skipped it to go for pale ale styles.

If you's do another brew day I'll for sure come to that to observe and learn.

Ciaran

What Barry said.   I'm currently on a brewing hiatus due to house renovations, hope to be back at it by the end of the month as it's been too long.  Sanitation and fermentation temperature control are probably what you want to concentrate on at first.  I'd go for any style where you're not hiding too much behind hops or roasted grain but something that still lets you experiment a bit.  English bitters and pale ales are a good place to start for learning about yeast profiles, fermentation temperature and hop flavour without being too overbearing or hiding issues.  Hefeweizen are another good one for playing around with fermentation temperatures.

belfastjacko

Thanks Ciaran, I'm up to speed on cleanliness and fermentation, I've been doing kits for a while moved to biab at the start of this year, trying to source some kit to go full all grain but we will see what happens.

Ryan

I've a galaxy smash on the go.  brewed while the missus started back to work and the wee man watched haha.  inbetween feeding and dirty nappys i hope it comes out clear because it was a blur

Ceedee

If I have any left, I'd like a bit of feedback at the next meet as well. New brewer and I've recently done the "Sessionable IPA" from Geterbrewed, turned out at 5.5% so not that sessionable. Taste wise, I think it's grand, but GEB did the usual thing of no instructions whatsoever so I had to wing it. I had a bit of scorched wort as I wasn't keeping up with the stirring, so the beer turned out a bit darker and more like a bitter, but it's not unpleasant.

I've currently got a Canadian Blonde kit-hack fermenting, due to be bottled this weekend and once the fermenter is empty, I'm brewing the "Irish Craft Lager" also from GEB - https://www.geterbrewed.com/irish-craft-lager-23-litres-4.1-ferments-at-ale-temperatures/ and after that a Creamy Stout to see in the Autumn.

kilianw

A meet in the not too distant future sounds like the ticket.

For my part, I've been busy with two brewdog clones (stout and neipa) and a Raspberry Wheat beer is almost ready from Greg Hughes' book 'Home Brew Beer'.

Lessons learned from all of them :-)

banjobrew

We should definitely have a meet to discuss the comp.

A wee update from myself: I have a Citra Pale Ale in the FV 8 days now. It's my first AG (the first I haven't had to throw out) and I'm going to dry hop for two days before cold crashing and racking to the keg. I hope to have a few bottles for the next meet.

Is it Wednesdays or Thursdays we meet in BrewBot? I can't even remember it seems so long since the last meet.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Bazza

Think we've been putting Wed and Thursday as options in a poll and then just picked the winner, so could be either day.

Ruairi and I spoke briefly yesterday about a possible early Sept meet. Maybe the week after ABV Fest?

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx