• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:51:30 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Capital Brewers - I can't believe it's not Lambic - Kettle Sour competition

Started by DoubleG, August 11, 2017, 10:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleG

Registration is now open for the Capital Brewers Kettle Sour competition. Registration will close on the 23rd of September. Judging will take place at The Headline bar on the 7th of October. Further details are available on the website http://comp.capitalbrewers.org/

Get Brewin!!

Roo

Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

Jonnycheech

Nice. Just entered, will brew the week after next, plenty of time!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

beerfly

Got to get the finger out and Brew that Berliner I've been planning for the last 4 months.

The Mandalorian1

Quote from: beerfly on August 14, 2017, 10:38:05 PM
Got to get the finger out and Brew that Berliner I've been planning for the last 4 months.

Are Berliners permitted?
The rules dont mention them but is specific on the souring process that is permitted.

"This is strictly a competition for clean kettle sours a.k.a. "fast souring" using lactobacillus in the wort before the boil.
Sour mashing, mixed cultures in primary, inoculation from yeast, yeast derived from wood or fruit in secondary, and anything with Brett are not permitted.".

DoubleG

Yes Berliners are permitted as you can make a Berliner using fast souring method.

molc

Yeast derived from fruit isn't allows but are you allowed fruit additions in secondary at all? Have a kettle sour I put on raspberries I was thinking of entering.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

mr hoppy

Just curious, how will you know (other than representations from entrants) that something has been kettled soured rather than sour mashed or soured in the primary?

DoubleG

Quote from: molc on August 17, 2017, 10:42:10 AM
Yeast derived from fruit isn't allows but are you allowed fruit additions in secondary at all? Have a kettle sour I put on raspberries I was thinking of entering.

Yes you are allowed fruit additions in the secondary. Just remember to call it out in the entry form to give the judge as much information when judging.

johnrm

Quote from: mr hoppy on August 17, 2017, 11:13:20 AM
Just curious, how will you know (other than representations from entrants) that something has been kettled soured rather than sour mashed or soured in the primary?

The winner should have to disclose the recipe.
(Not sure if thats in the rules)

DoubleG

Quote from: johnrm on August 17, 2017, 01:01:14 PM
Quote from: mr hoppy on August 17, 2017, 11:13:20 AM

The winner should have to disclose the recipe.
(Not sure if thats in the rules)

It is, recipe should be provided when submitting the entry.

mr hoppy

The recipe is a representation from the entrant, which is fair enough, but it doesn't answer the question.

I won't be entering as I've always soured in primary but I'm genuinely interested as to whether you expect to be able to tell the difference otherwise.

johnrm

Hingo

Quote from: mr hoppy on August 17, 2017, 03:10:44 PM
The recipe is a representation from the entrant, which is fair enough, but it doesn't answer the question.

I won't be entering as I've always soured in primary but I'm genuinely interested as to whether you expect to be able to tell the difference otherwise.
We have a very sophisticated solution.

Similar to the solution that we use for the risk of people entering a commercially made beer into the nationals claimed to be made at home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk