• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 08:42:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Inter Club “Ready Steady Brew” Competition

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), August 28, 2017, 08:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishjam45 (Colin)

August 28, 2017, 08:21:33 PM Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:43:33 PM by fishjam45 (Colin)
Wicklow Wolf would like to Challenge NHC Clubs and members to brew a beer at their Hop Location in Roundwood using Fresh Green Hops.

Because of timing we need you to have a quick think and confirm if this is something you would be interested in doing as a club or an individual. If there is enough interest at club level it stays with the NHC.
The provisional date for this event is Sat 23rd of September but may be subject to change if the hops are slow finishing in the coming weeks.
Please only put your name down only if your sure you can participate

The Process

It's a team event, each team can have from 1 to 4 members, as long as you bring your gear to brew on.
We can accomodate up to 10 teams brewing on the day.

The location is 20 minutes from the M11/M50 interchange.

Electricity will be provided. If you need more than 13Amps please advise.

Wicklow Wolf will provide MCI Pale malt as a base malt. 
If you need Pilsner you will have to bring it along yourself.
You can use any speciality malts (dont need to be Irish) that you want, again just provide them yourself.
Hint: Focus on your malt bill for fresh hop ales.

They have also asked that we use dry yeast as they want to see us actually sprinkling it into the wort.  Of course, WW will provide the yeast.  Let us know in advance so we can get it for you. Shoot me a PM. 

All water will be provided to brew and chill with and you will have the water profile in advance.
With reagrds to chilling - Chilled water will be provided to get your beer down to pitching temp.  If you have any spare hose connections make sure to bring them on the day - you may not need them but you are better off looking at them than looking for them.  That comes from experience of brewing with my gear in other peoples houses etc.

The teams present themselves and are told by Simon Lynch the owner of the farm and Co-Director of Wicklow Wolf what is good to go on the day.

In advance you will be given a list of hops that are currently growing at the farm.

The teams (Individuals will get help) will then take down the bines and pick what is required for their boil.
Brewing software can be used but won't be supplied.

You bring on the day any brewing equipment and gear you require to brew a beer including a fermenter.

The preference for space and electricity requirements is to bring a one pot vessel system but if you brew on gas that is fine to but you need to bring everything.

On the day there will be Wicklow Wolf beers and a BBQ supplied to all present. You can bring along friends/partners we just need to know in advance to plan and they will be asked to help you pick your own hops.
We know that some of you will have to drive and there will be a drivers pack to allow you enjoy beer at home for your sacrifice.

You take your wort away and ferment and then bring bottles back to or have them collected to be judged in the brewery 4-6 weeks later, an event you are welcome to attend if you entered.

So what do I win?

Brewing related Prizes will be announced later, there will be a King/Queen of the Green Hop Trophy and the recipe may be used as the base for the 2018 crop but more importantly you will have bragging rights over your fellow clubs. 

Folks we know we have a lot of competitions on at the moment but this will be a great leveller and a test of brewing your skills as a team and best of all, great crack.

Go and get researching Wet Hop Ales!

Any questions Comments Thoughts or Observations?

Entrants

1.       GCB Greenies

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

imark

fishjam45 (Colin)

Start time will be early, we are looking at noon.
Early start, early finish etc. with darker evenings coming in.
Garden County Brewers

Pheeel

Entrants

1.       GCB Greenies
2.       North County
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Mossy

Do you need to be affiliated with a club or can you take part as a stand alone team?

fishjam45 (Colin)

Members clubs only to begin with and if not enough interest then we'll spread it further afield
but we'd like you to represent an area or club
Garden County Brewers

Mossy

That's fair enough. I'm not gonna try to represent a club I'm not a member of so can I put my name of the list if you are going to extend it?
Cheers

fishjam45 (Colin)

By all means put your name down and if we extend it then we will contact you.
Where are you based? Is there a club near you?
Garden County Brewers

Mossy

Based in Dublin. Near enough to where the Capital Brewers meet up is.

Flanagan

So I guess dry hopping won't be possible unless you can take some hops home to freeze? Or would freezing green hops affect the oils/aroma?

And would be possible to know alpha acids? I guess judging by the variety you should be able to measure within ballpark anyway.

Great idea & great opportunity for brewers who can make it.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: Flanagan on August 29, 2017, 02:17:28 PM
So I guess dry hopping won't be possible unless you can take some hops home to freeze? Or would freezing green hops affect the oils/aroma?
And would be possible to know alpha acids? I guess judging by the variety you should be able to measure within ballpark anyway.
Great idea & great opportunity for brewers who can make it.

That's what makes this competition different - its a great opportunity to think brew outside the box.

Hops should always be stored in the freezer after drying and sealing, just like you do after buying them from a homebrew shop.
There is plenty of info out there on how to use, harvest, store etc. Fresh Hops. For example
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/how-to-harvest-prepare-and-store-homegrown-hops/
Garden County Brewers

Skittlebrau

1.       GCB Greenies
2.       North County
3.       Hopper Job

Team Hopper Job = 1 Capital Brewer + 1 Clubless NHC member