• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 12:33:44 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sweetmans Homebrew Challenge and Cask Weekend

Started by IrelOFarrell, September 18, 2017, 05:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrelOFarrell

JW Sweetmans will be hosting their inaugural homebrew competition with with judges, feed back and some serious prizes on offer along side a weekend of cask ales between the 27th and 29th of October.
Red ales and porters/stouts only.
More information to follow.

auralabuse

IrelOFarrell

Have a bit more information for all you lovely boys and girls.

Terms and Conditions
1. Open to all amateur home brewers over 18 years of age.
2. All entries must be handcrafted using ingredients available to the general public using private equipment by hobby brewers (ie no use of commerical facilities or supplies).
3. A single entry consists of 4 330ml or 4 500ml bottles free of any identifying marks, ink, paint or labels, submitted with an entry form available from our website.
4. All entries must be of good drinkable quality, free from irritants, chemicals or other substances which may cause harm.
5. Only styles Irish Red Ale (9D), Porter (12) and Stout (13) may be submitted.
6. All entries for Irish Red Ale must be submitted be 7pm on Friday the 27th of October and Porter/Stout by 7pm Saturday 28th of October.
7. The overall winner will be announced on Saturday 28th at our live judging event.
8. All entries will be judged using the BJCP scoresheet.
9. Bottles will not be returned.
10.Entry into this Competition shall be deemed to be a full and unconditional acceptance by the
entrant of these Terms and Conditions.
11. The judges decisions are final.

Best in show will get to brew their beer at Kildare Brewing Company and have it on sale at Sweetmans along with a 3 course dinner for 2 at Sweetmans and €100 voicher for the bar, with a bunch of other prizes for 2nd and 3rd place.
Entry forms will be on our social media next week.

If any of you in the Dublin area would like to get involved with us you can drop me a line at ireledward@gmail.com as we will be looking for stewards and any friendly advice.

Simon_

Do you really need 4 x 500ml bottles. 2 500ml bottles is the norm

IrelOFarrell

Hey Simon, we are asking for a bit extra as we would like to give out blind samples to some of the customers and get everyone taste your delicious beers and not just the judges.

JDC

I'd be very tempted to enter this as it sounds like a great competition, but the deadline seems a bit short notice - I'd need to be brewing today/tomorrow to have a stout ready in time  :(
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

IrelOFarrell

Hey JDC123, we are aware we are cutting it a bit tight with the timeline but any later and we wont be able to host until January as we start to get very busy on the run up to Christmas. Have no fear though, this will be an annual competition so there is always next year too.

auralabuse

Can I drop a few bottles in Monday? Direct into sweetmans

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

IrelOFarrell

Yeah of course, just attach an email adress to the beers and  I'll forward you the paper work during the week.

delzep

Quote from: IrelOFarrell on September 22, 2017, 07:01:26 PM
Have a bit more information for all you lovely boys and girls.

Terms and Conditions
1. Open to all amateur home brewers over 18 years of age.
2. All entries must be handcrafted using ingredients available to the general public using private equipment by hobby brewers (ie no use of commerical facilities or supplies).
3. A single entry consists of 4 330ml or 4 500ml bottles free of any identifying marks, ink, paint or labels, submitted with an entry form available from our website.
4. All entries must be of good drinkable quality, free from irritants, chemicals or other substances which may cause harm.
5. Only styles Irish Red Ale (9D), Porter (12) and Stout (13) may be submitted.
6. All entries for Irish Red Ale must be submitted be 7pm on Friday the 27th of October and Porter/Stout by 7pm Saturday 28th of October.
7. The overall winner will be announced on Saturday 28th at our live judging event.
8. All entries will be judged using the BJCP scoresheet.
9. Bottles will not be returned.
10.Entry into this Competition shall be deemed to be a full and unconditional acceptance by the
entrant of these Terms and Conditions.
11. The judges decisions are final.

Best in show will get to brew their beer at Kildare Brewing Company and have it on sale at Sweetmans along with a 3 course dinner for 2 at Sweetmans and €100 voicher for the bar, with a bunch of other prizes for 2nd and 3rd place.
Entry forms will be on our social media next week.

If any of you in the Dublin area would like to get involved with us you can drop me a line at ireledward@gmail.com as we will be looking for stewards and any friendly advice.

These categories are from the 2008 BJCP, not the 2015 which supercedes them

IrelOFarrell

My apologies, 15A, 15B and 15C respectively. I used the older copy on my phone, shall be changed for the website.

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Quote from: Simon_ on September 22, 2017, 08:47:08 PM
Do you really need 4 x 500ml bottles. 2 500ml bottles is the norm

I have always been of the vocal opinion that 3 should be the minimum and ideally 4. It depends on the number of rounds.

The reason from a brewer's perspective is quality and redundancy. From an organiser's perspective, it adds a lot of extra admin and sorting.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

auralabuse

I dropped 4 bottles into the bar this morning with my email address on it so will await the forms, cheers

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Shanna

Quote from: IrelOFarrell on September 25, 2017, 03:39:20 PM
My apologies, 15A, 15B and 15C respectively. I used the older copy on my phone, shall be changed for the website.
So no room for any of the category 16 as follows?
DARK BRITISH BEER
16A. Sweet Stout
16B. Oatmeal
16C. Tropical Stout
16D. Foreign Extra Stout

I hope this is an oversight as they are all variations of stout?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

IrelOFarrell

Hey Shanna, sorry about the delay. We want to keep it short and sweet for this year as it is our first one, hopefully next year we will open it up a bit more. So 15 only.