• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 02:56:04 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sweetmans Homebrew Challenge and Cask Weekend

Started by IrelOFarrell, September 18, 2017, 05:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Quote from: IrelOFarrell on September 29, 2017, 02:31:47 PM
Hey Shanna, sorry about the delay. We want to keep it short and sweet for this year as it is our first one, hopefully next year we will open it up a bit more. So 15 only.
Ah well just have to concentrate on the Wee counties competition then. Think your really limiting your number of entries with that decision by the way 😖

Anyway best of luck with it hope you get the desired number of entries.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Simon_

Doesn't sound like my planned entry will fit into any of those categories. Good luck with the comp

Boycott

Quote from: Saruman on September 27, 2017, 10:01:01 AM
Quote from: Simon_ on September 22, 2017, 08:47:08 PM
Do you really need 4 x 500ml bottles. 2 500ml bottles is the norm

I have always been of the vocal opinion that 3 should be the minimum and ideally 4. It depends on the number of rounds.

The reason from a brewer's perspective is quality and redundancy. From an organiser's perspective, it adds a lot of extra admin and sorting.

You just drink too much. Id drink 150ml max

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Quote from: Boycott on October 03, 2017, 07:41:36 AM
Quote from: Saruman on September 27, 2017, 10:01:01 AM
Quote from: Simon_ on September 22, 2017, 08:47:08 PM
Do you really need 4 x 500ml bottles. 2 500ml bottles is the norm

I have always been of the vocal opinion that 3 should be the minimum and ideally 4. It depends on the number of rounds.

The reason from a brewer's perspective is quality and redundancy. From an organiser's perspective, it adds a lot of extra admin and sorting.

You just drink too much. Id drink 150ml max

That's great but 2 or 3 hours later when your beer is judged again for a second round or mini BOS, do you want that stagnant, partially oxidised, flat and potentially warm beer judged? Or would a fresh bottle perhaps be better?
Volume consumed is irrelevant to my point.
There's a reason in commercial competitions, such as ones I also organise, I ask for a minimum of 4 bottles. Many competitions demand 6 and in fact the World Beer Awards require between 12 and 16 depending on size.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

molc

As a counter example, The nhc in America use 2 bottles for 1st round and 3 bottles for final round. That's a competition with over 3000 entries each year, but the first round can still operate on 2 bottles, which is still quite a bit bigger than our comp.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

delzep

Saw the poster for this competition. Beoir logo on it but no NHC on there  :-\

Bazza

Quote from: delzep on October 23, 2017, 07:19:49 PM
Saw the poster for this competition. Beoir logo on it but no NHC on there  :-\
We were approached about the use of the NHC logo on the advertising materials but since it wasn't an NHC-run competition and had no direct NHC involvement at the time of asking the idea kinda got kicked into touch.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

delzep

Bazza

Quote from: delzep on October 24, 2017, 08:39:39 AM
Seems a bit odd turning down publicity

It wasn't case of turning down publicity; it was more a case of if we can get our members involved in some respect, e.g. judging, etc we'd be more than happy for the logo to be used.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

johnrm

Do we have we a bunch of judges on hand that can jump in and judge/organise any competition that pops up?
If not maybe it would be an idea to set one up.

If we get involved, do we charge for the service?
While we are not-for-profit, I think if we do something for nothing that the effort could go unappreciated.
If the Comp fails - does someone say - 'Ah sure thats the NHC!'

The plus with these comps is that the number of beers tends not to be huge - so it is manageable.
How would Sweetmans or Western Herd(Ennis) or Brewtonic manage if they end up with 500 entries and 1000 bottles?

If someone was up for it, we could have a position as External Competitions Director.
The competition organiser maybe pays a fee to NHC and covers reasonable expenses for External Competitions Director.

BTW, NHC does not HAVE to do this either - the Beoir team have run excellent competitions and may be up for liaising with 3rd parties as they have done in this case.

Andrew

Quote from: Bazza on October 24, 2017, 08:50:33 AM

It wasn't case of turning down publicity; it was more a case of if we can get our members involved in some respect, e.g. judging, etc we'd be more than happy for the logo to be used.

-Barry
I'm judging...
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Bazza

Quote from: Andrew on October 24, 2017, 02:46:41 PM
Quote from: Bazza on October 24, 2017, 08:50:33 AM

-Barry
I'm judging...

Right? Did many other members sign up for judging/stewarding or the like? When I was initially asked about the logo we'd pretty much zero info about the competition.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Andrew

Quote from: Bazza on October 24, 2017, 02:55:03 PM
Right? Did many other members sign up for judging/stewarding or the like? When I was initially asked about the logo we'd pretty much zero info about the competition.

-Barry

3 judges, 1 steward. At least one of the others is a NHC member, will check with the others.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Bazza

Cheers.
I'd be interested to know which came first; the judges/stewards or the posters.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Andrew

Quote from: Bazza on October 24, 2017, 03:07:58 PM
Cheers.
I'd be interested to know which came first; the judges/stewards or the posters.

-Barry
I was contacted long before the posters went up.
Andrew
@beoirfinder