• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 11:43:19 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

3rd Annual Midlands Beer club Comp

Started by LASERBOY147, March 14, 2018, 12:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASERBOY147

March 14, 2018, 12:32:03 PM Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:06:09 PM by LASERBOY147
"Single and loving it" Homebrew Competition

Midlands Beer Club and Carrig Brewing Company have joined forces to launch our 3rd annual home-brew competition.please fill out the form below to register your entry, Initially there will be a drop points at Tullamore and also at brewcon. I will add more drop points once we get an idea where all the entries are coming from

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1S9s4goXMryKQzhQ8biRowKs0wcK8Gwh4b6U6xuHL_gM/edit

The focus of this competition will be brew a single hop international Pale Ale or International IPA, this is a chance to showcase your favourite hop or a hop you think is best suited to a single hop beer.

Closing date for the competition will be May 12th.

Judging to take place in the Tanyard Lane pub in Tullamore on May 19th   (Function perhaps)

Style: Single hop international Pale Ale or single hop International IPA

Entry fee will be €5 per entry

2 X 330ml bottles or 2 X 500ml bottles will be accepted

First prize

The overall winner will have the chance to create a collaboration single hop IPA with Carrig brewing.

The winner will participate together with the head brewer to design the malt bill, mashing design, hop schedule and fermentation process.

The batch will be brewed on Carrigs 15HL system

The winner will be able to participate together with the head brewer at the creation of the malt bill, mashing design, hop schedule and fermentation process.

When the beers is ready to go on sale the beer will be marketed as a collaboration between Carrig and the winner if the Midland Beer Club Cup winner.

In addition to the winner shall also receive the following

- One Carrig Brewing Company hoody

- One Carrig Brewing t-shirt

- One Carrig Brewing hat

Second Prize

- One Carrig Brewing Company t-shirt

- 500 g of Hops

Third Prize

- 200 g of Hops

- One Carrig Brewing Company hat

Terms and conditions:

The collaboration brew will be a single hop 5.5% IPA using one of the following hops

- Loral 2017 crop

- Chinook 2017 crop

- Centennial 2017 crop

- Amarillo 2017 crop

- Enigma 2017 crop

- Australian Cascade 2017 crop

Carrig brewing reserve the right to amend the recipe

Entry details will be posted shortly

please fill out the form below to register your entry, Initially there will be a drop points at Tullamore and also at brewcon. I will add more drop points once we get an idea where all the entries are coming from

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1S9s4goXMryKQzhQ8biRowKs0wcK8Gwh4b6U6xuHL_gM/edit

CH

Poor form to have it the same day as GCB comp surely?
As a homebrewer I only have a limited amount of time to brew now you want me to choose which comp to enter?
Is your comp Midland Brewers or Midland Beer Club? if it's the latter do they even have anything to do with the NHC? Yeah I know we all drink beer!
I don't want to be a bollox about it lads but looks like poor planning to me as I think GCB posted theirs months ago?
I would of thought if you wanted to run a comp first thing you would of done would have been to check NHC comps posted already or with whoever runs things around here? :-\

LASERBOY147

Hi TJP.  Please go ahead and support GCB by entering their comp. Best of luck.

Seaneh

Bit of a pointless moan... Enter or don't.
I doubt the lads even know the GCB comp was on, and even if they did, why should they care?

Quote from: TJP on March 14, 2018, 07:22:04 PM
Poor form to have it the same day as GCB comp surely?
As a homebrewer I only have a limited amount of time to brew now you want me to choose which comp to enter?
Is your comp Midland Brewers or Midland Beer Club? if it's the latter do they even have anything to do with the NHC? Yeah I know we all drink beer!
I don't want to be a bollox about it lads but looks like poor planning to me as I think GCB posted theirs months ago?
I would of thought if you wanted to run a comp first thing you would of done would have been to check NHC comps posted already or with whoever runs things around here? :-\

CH

Quote from: Seaneh on March 14, 2018, 10:31:34 PM
I doubt the lads even know the GCB comp was on, and even if they did, why should they care?

Thanks for your opinion. If you entered lots of comps you would know my dilemma.
I, like laserboy, have lots of personal commitments but wanted to enter as many comps as I can and would really like to enter this competiton. I can't do both as I don't have the time to brew two beers.
I paid my membership to support the forum and the NHC with competitions run by local clubs, I like the great feedback I get for beer judged by BJCP judges trained by the NHC which is one of the reasons I joined up.
If "the lads" don't care about the rest of us members or clubs running comps which is totally their right btw, then why should they be allowed plug their comp on our forum :-\

Simon_

Thanks for making the time and effort to get a competition going fellas. I love competition season. It's the season just after 6 nations season. I'd love it if deciding which competition to enter was my biggest problem. I'll be entering both comps and looking forward to it. I don't see an issue with it being on the same day as GCB from an entrant's POV. 2 months notice should be enough to get 2 brews together.

Can you provide more direction on the style parameters for entries. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a beer - Will judges be judging against American Pale Ale 18B or American IPA 21A? Can any single hop be used or should they be the ones listed for the collaboration brew or antipodean hops?
Are there particular aroma / flavour descriptors a beer should be hitting like citrus or piney?

Bazza

Folks,

This topic has come up a couple of times in the past. There's been a few occasions in recent months when a slew of competitions have all been proposed for around the same time, resulting in them not going ahead due to almost cancelling each other out, with potential entrants being spread out too thinly.

I sympathise with all the opinions on the above matter but, rather than getting bogged down in the whys and wherefore's, let's ensure this doesn't happen again. To that end, Kellie has posted looking for volunteers for a number of roles, one of which is Competition Officer. The idea is that any members hoping to organise a competition will have to coordinate with the Competition Officer first. Des (Beechlawn) has kindly volunteered for this role so let's see if we can't make such clashes a thing of the past.

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/members-only-area/expressions-of-interest-in-club-positions/msg178786/#msg178786

Going forward, can we make sure that future posts on this thread concentrate details of the Midland comp.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Bazza

Quote from: Bazza link=topic=18154.msg178794#msg178794
Going forward, can we make sure that future posts on this thread concentrate details of the Midland comp.

Okay, so I see Simon has just done that  :)

Cheers,

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

CH

I'm going to enter both as Bazza has kindly offered to mind my kids next Sat.
As Simon says can we have a bit more detail, is it being done to BJCP standards And will I get feedback sheets?

Simon_

Quote from: TJP on March 15, 2018, 09:55:35 AM
Bazza has kindly offered to mind my kids next Sat.
Bazza, can you collect my 3 from the bus station round by Sandy Row if I put them on the express form Dublin Airport or will they need to get themselves a cab.

Bazza

Quote from: Simon_ on March 15, 2018, 10:16:03 AM
Bazza, can you collect my 3 from the bus station round by Sandy Row if I put them on the express form Dublin Airport or will they need to get themselves a cab.

No probs; I can collect. Spaghetti hoops or chicken nuggets for tea?
― Groucho Marx

Simon_

Quote from: Bazza on March 15, 2018, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: Simon_ on March 15, 2018, 10:16:03 AM

No probs; I can collect. Spaghetti hoops or chicken nuggets for tea?
Quinoa salad please. I'll tell them to wait out by the Iron Maiden mural.

Dr Brown Ale

Alright lads, I'm looking for some more information from you.

You have the closing date as May 12th, that's great as that's the same day as BrewCon, would there be any chance one of you lads is attending, and if so would you accept entries from people on the day?

benji

Hi All,

I'm the coordinater of this competition, apologies to GCB on the clash of dates, but unfortunately this was the only date that was going to suit me personally and Carrig brewing and the Tanyard Lane Pub in Tullamore. Please send me DM's of you wish (Brendan Kenny).

TBH I don's see an issue here as the style of beers are completely different and there is plenty of time for both competitions, I know for a fact that a few of our members will be entering GCB competitions.

Just to further clarify this competition will not be judged using BCJP, basically the nicest beer wins, feedback will be provided if requested.

Also there will be a few of our members at brewcon so we can arrange collection there if you wish. I will post more details by the weekend.

Lets support each other peeps, this date will not be moved I'm afraid. We can post details of the GCB competition on our (very active) FaceBook page as a peace offering if you wish.
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

Dodge

Quote from: TJP on March 15, 2018, 08:49:55 AM
Quote from: Seaneh on March 14, 2018, 10:31:34 PM

Thanks for your opinion. If you entered lots of comps you would know my dilemma.
I, like laserboy, have lots of personal commitments but wanted to enter as many comps as I can and would really like to enter this competiton. I can't do both as I don't have the time to brew two beers.
I paid my membership to support the forum and the NHC with competitions run by local clubs, I like the great feedback I get for beer judged by BJCP judges trained by the NHC which is one of the reasons I joined up.
If "the lads" don't care about the rest of us members or clubs running comps which is totally their right btw, then why should they be allowed plug their comp on our forum :-\

It's hard to accommodate everyone every time but there is 2 months to brew if you wanted to enter both competitions. If you need feedback I'd suggest let your local club give that instead of letting sub par beer be judged at competitions as this is were the best beers should be and I'm not saying that your beer would be sub par!  It's been an ongoing issue with the NHC comp each year with judges having to judge beer that may be flawed just because some brewer wants feedback. With regards to whether it's part of the midland brewers on the NHC or the midlands beer club the key members belong to both. Unfortunately too many keyboard warriors wanting to shove there opinion down others that are here just to learn has opened another platform to discuss. Both club representatives had discussed this issue of competitions being held on the same date and there was no issue.

Good luck