• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 10:39:56 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Start-up Dublin based Beer analysis lab interested in homebrewers opinions

Started by CraftBrewLabs, March 28, 2018, 11:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraftBrewLabs

Hi Folks,
I am part of a small team of scientists establishing a start-up lab for beer testing in Dublin. We're intending to be accessible to both the micro-breweries and home brewers alike. I've constructed short surveys for both markets to help asses their needs. We've had great traction with the breweries so far, but it's been a little more difficult to reach out to home-brewers. We don't want to be spamming private individuals, after all. 

I was hoping some of you might be interested in giving us your opinions on beer and water analysis so that we'll be able to continue to include home-brewers in our future plans. Here's the link to the survey it only takes 4-6 minutes: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6W5FSQZ

If you have any questions after you do the survey, hit me up here and I'll do my best to answer.
If this is the wrong thread for this
just let me know and I'll delete and shift it.

Cheers guys

CraftBrewLabs

Thanks for the responses so far guys. It'll be a great help.

I had suspected that water would be of more interest to you folk than to the breweries, many of whom are adjusting their water before brewing. The water tests we will be offering are Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Sulphates, Zinc, Bicarbonate, Chloride, Chlorine and probably PH, Conductivity, Total dissolved solids and salinity. We will also add micro but may not initially have space for the apparatus. But we also hope to link in with another larger water lab who we can contract other water needs to for our customers, so that we can be a "one stop shop" for your samples.

Just to give a bit of feedback re: the pricing. We understand that you don't want to pay more than the brew batch price to test quality, and we wouldn't expect that homebrewers would want to test every beer batch, but their are significant costs to testing. Independent of staff wages and overheads there is a fixed per/test reagent cost that is unavoidable.
We'll take all these responses in to account and hopefully find the sweet spot.

CraftBrewLabs

If you're interested in keeping up to date with our set-up and testing you can follow us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/craftbrewlabsireland/

or like the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CraftBrewLabsIreland/

Cheers!

Shanna

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

CraftBrewLabs

Thanks for all your suggestions and opinions folks. Our lab will be up and running in Churchtown Dublin in about one month.
We'll be running up to 25 different tests on beer, wort, water and yeast. Our team has over 42 years combined lab experience with 38 years of it in brewery labs.

Keep up to date with the set up and shenanigans on our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CraftBrewLabsIreland/

or Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/craftbrewlabsireland/

CH

What sort of ball park money would you be looking at for water analysis for homebrewers, I know Commercial lads are a different animal?

DEMPSEY

I would imagine that hop IBU's accurately measured for commercial brewers would allow them to confirm the perceived numbers as the hops are just plain wrong.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

CraftBrewLabs

Quote from: CH on June 26, 2018, 04:27:30 PM
What sort of ball park money would you be looking at for water analysis for homebrewers, I know Commercial lads are a different animal?

Hi CH, We'll be offering 9 parameters for water; Presence of coliforms, chlorine, chloride, bicarbonate, magnesium, calcium, potassium, sulphate, and zinc.

Prices are not set in stone yet but individually each water tests will be between 8-14. We'll allow them to be selected individually or batched for a significant saving. Ballpark for full set tests will probably fall between 60-80 depending on how workflow shapes up.

CraftBrewLabs

Hi Folks, Many of you had asked about water testing. We have now got some of our equipment up and running for water testing- not all tests but enough to be getting on with. So lets get on with it!

We are running a very limited offer of 6 water tests for €48 (including VAT). The tests included are Bicarbonate, Sulphate, Calcium, Chloride, Magnesium and Potassium. We will have further test coming online in a few weeks (zinc , chlorine, total hardness) but that is the extent of our water tests for now. This offer is only valid for samples that arrive by Wednesday of next week ( Wednesday 8th of August).

Suitable sample containers can be picked up from any chemist for about €1, filled with approx 20-30mls of water, wrapped in cling film, popped in a plastic bag & bubble wrap envelope and send to us through An Post for €3.60 (provided you don't over fill your container!)

For more information email us at brewlabsireland@gmail.com

frlinux

Quote from: CraftBrewLabs on March 28, 2018, 11:38:01 AM
Hi Folks,
I am part of a small team of scientists establishing a start-up lab for beer testing in Dublin. We're intending to be accessible to both the micro-breweries and home brewers alike. I've constructed short surveys for both markets to help asses their needs. We've had great traction with the breweries so far, but it's been a little more difficult to reach out to home-brewers. We don't want to be spamming private individuals, after all. 

I was hoping some of you might be interested in giving us your opinions on beer and water analysis so that we'll be able to continue to include home-brewers in our future plans. Here's the link to the survey it only takes 4-6 minutes: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6W5FSQZ

If you have any questions after you do the survey, hit me up here and I'll do my best to answer.
If this is the wrong thread for this
just let me know and I'll delete and shift it.

Cheers guys

Responded to the survey, this sounds like fun. A quick note that on the rating on 1 to 5, i assume 1 means least likely and 5 most likely, I would still call this out for clarity.