• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:13:51 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Greetings from Michigan, USA

Started by Aksarben, March 28, 2018, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksarben

Seeing my ancestry is from Ireland, and that I love Guiness Stout, seemed natural to join a forum in Ireland.  My last name is Jenewein, but my Grandfather was James Dawson Malone.  Name like Malone... :)   

Currently work at Fenn Valley Vineyards since 1999 as an Associate Winemaker, but recently became seriously interested in home brew (beer).  Since I work constantly in the lab, things like Alcohol analysis, pH, acid titration, and others, are second nature.  I've made some nice Irish Stout and German Munich Dunkel in the past few months. 

I grew up in NW Nebraska on a farm/ranch of around 2800 acres. and made the occasional home brew, but not really knowing a lot about it.

Cheers!

Wow... you have to fill out verification on posts?
Vern
I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it.

imark

Will_D

Hi and welcome.

Another chemist so, great stuff!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Aksarben

Thanks for the welcome!   Our winery produced about 270,000 gallons of wine in 2017, but nearly 300,000 gallons of cider.  Since apple cider comes in on a pretty much monthly basis, we have it fermenting all the time (yeast of choice is DV-10.   We do make some blueberry and cherry cider from local blueberries and local Balaton cherries when they are in season, along with respective blueberry and cherry wines.   Those fruit ciders are blended with our apple ciders in the finished product. 

Sorry if I mention the occasional F and gallon reference.  I'm 65 and grew up with those figures and they still use the a lot here in the United States.  Then they mix in some metric once in a while just to get things interesting.  We buy a yeast nutrient and some cellar chemical by the Kg but then use them in the cellar as pound per gallon, as our tanks are still calibrated, and our system, to lbs. gal.  Even more fun is we add SO2 in ppm and KMBS in grams.... to gallons.  Go figure. :)
Vern

lordstilton

Welcome.. Askarben... You'll have to share your dunkel recipe

Simon_

Aksarben

I actually figured that this is a good place to hear stories and info on making Irish Stout, and perhaps giving a bit of my knowledge of wine and cider making.

BTW, the avatar, Simon_  ,   I met the man that painted the marquis of "50 Foot tall woman",   Reynold Brown, and he retired to Whitney Nebraska, close to where I was living.  His son Franz Brown and I were friends from our photography experiences.  I've seen the actual painting, along with a lot more that he (Reynold) had done for movies. 
Vern

Aksarben

Quote from: lordstilton on March 29, 2018, 01:37:59 PM
Welcome.. Askarben... You'll have to share your dunkel recipe

Yes, the recipe is here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/623693/jenewein-durst-munich-dunkel  one of them anyway, the last one, made from Durst Munich dark malt.  I ordered a 55kg bag from our winery supplier for $33.00 so giving it a go.
Vern