• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 02:38:47 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Co2 Tanks - Where to get them in Belfast

Started by phildo79, October 09, 2018, 12:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phildo79

Hi guys,

Long story short, I've reached the end of my tether when it comes to bottling up. Taking the plunge and buying a Corny keg. I don't seem to be having much joy when it comes to sourcing the big 6kg Co2 tanks though. Surely somewhere in Belfast supplies them / refills them?

I opened a thread on HBF UK about the whole step up to kegs thing and got some useful advice. I think I would like to try SodaStream tanks and have a 6kg tank that I can use to top up the SS tanks. This way I don't have to start drilling holes into the fridge that I haven't even got yet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Phil

Lawrence22

Nifex on the Colinglen Road. I got a 6.35kg bottle a couple of weeks ago of them for £60 including deposit for cylinder. I think refills are £20.

phildo79

Cheers Lawrence. How much was the deposit?

Lawrence22

I presume £40. He charged me £60 for a full bottle. Not certain but I believe a fill is £20.

Roo

Geterbrrewed also do them all nice and shiny but I think they even source them from NIFEX
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

phildo79

Cheers Roo.

Just checked their website. £70 for a 2kg bottle or £100 for a 2kg bottle. Seems odd. Only difference I can see is the colour of the tank. You'd need to have serious OCD to choose the £100 option (which is currently out of stock).

phildo79

Quote from: Lawrence22 on October 09, 2018, 03:11:20 PM
Nifex on the Colinglen Road. I got a 6.35kg bottle a couple of weeks ago of them for £60 including deposit for cylinder. I think refills are £20.

Lawrence, what are the size dimensions of the 6.35kg tank? I got myself a tall larder fridge and am wondering if I could get the sucker in beside the keg.

Cheers

Roo

[/quote]

Lawrence, what are the size dimensions of the 6.35kg tank? I got myself a tall larder fridge and am wondering if I could get the sucker in beside the keg.

Cheers
[/quote]

That's valuable keg space in there. I had Kingnidge drill a hole at the side of my fridge and have the gas outside with the line running in!
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

Lawrence22

Quote from: phildo79 on October 13, 2018, 04:38:18 PM

Cheers

Sorry just noticed this I'll measure it at some point tomorrow and get back to you.

Lawrence22

Hi the 6.35kg cylinder I have is 68cm tall but you need another few cm to allow for clearance of the regulator dials.

phildo79

Cool. So about the same height as a corny keg. For some reason I imagined them really tall and slim.

steve71ni

BOC. Ordering can be done online and you can arrange for delivery or pick up. Local depot is Prince Regents Road. Variety of cylinder sizes available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phildo79

Quote from: steve71ni on October 15, 2018, 07:10:10 PM
BOC. Ordering can be done online and you can arrange for delivery or pick up. Local depot is Prince Regents Road. Variety of cylinder sizes available.

Thanks Steve. Checked out their website. Considering I won't be brewing a huge amount of beer, I don't see the value in having to rent the tanks on a monthly basis. Even though £4 a month is hardly going to break the bank, it all adds up and I reckon I'd be paying way over the odds in between refills.

phildo79

Lawrence

Do Nifex charge rent on the tanks like BOC do?

Lawrence22

Not sure what BOC do. I just turned up asked for Co2 for beer dispense, he asked if I had an empty, when I said no he handed me a 6.35kg bottle and said £60. That was the entire conversation.